Need to replace valve, please help!

jmag999

Silver Supporter
May 21, 2014
Rhode Island
I need to replace a 3-way valve that feeds my pump. I am hoping for some advice as to where to make cuts and how to get the new valve installed. See the attached picture, there is not a lot of room on one side of the valve to cut the pipe and have enough left to feed into the valve. Any advice as to how a pro would do this?photo (12).jpg

Why are you replacing it? Is the housing cracked from freezing or something?

That valve should be rebuildable if it's just an air leak around the stem or something.

If you do need to replace it, cut the pipe as close to the valve as you can on the right. Undo that union on the left. Then carry the valve with the stub leading to the pump, the elbow, and half the union to the hardware store and try to find a union with the same threads. The valve ends are double-sized. You can probably find a coupler that goes on the outside of the pipe on the right and then a reducer bushing to join it to the existing pipe.

plumbing.jpg

Last edited:
it looks like you will need to replace the pipe including half the union on the left (the one with out the valve) and the input to the pump threded fitting.
The right side there maybe enough pipe there to for a joint i cant tell from the picture. You can test it by getting a joint and seeing if it fits.
Have you done any pvc in the past, this dosent look easy.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.