Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Best Equipment Advice

1. Back To Top    #1

Red face Best Equipment Advice

Hello Senior Members,

We are first timers and clueless about everything. Could the senior members please write up a list of the basic equipment needed for a smooth running pool in a 16 X 32 size and mention the best brands and sizes to look for. I know our pool builder will have a standard set up that they like to use for their cost efficiency, but we may want upgrade some things like filters, pumps, vacuums etc. We want the equipment to be right and as trouble free as possible. We don't know the difference between cartridge and DE and many others keywords we are seeing here. We are getting a SWG for sure and don't know what that means for us as far as effecting or changing the types of equipment we need. We really don't even know what all equipment it takes to run a pool. If experienced members could make a list here or point us to the best forum areas to find this information we'd really appreciate you!

Paul & Crystal

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Best Equipment Advice

There is really no right answer to your question but probably your best bet is to start with Pool School and learn about the differences in equipment and what you should look for.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...pool-equipment

But there are some general rules of thumb.

Pumps - smaller HP are more energy efficient but you may need a bigger pump for certain water features

Filter - bigger is usually better especially for DE and cartridge (see link for differences)

Plumbing - bigger pipe is better and more energy efficient

Hayward, Pentair and Jandy all make good equipment. Some better than other but usually the PB has a preferred vendor so it is best to stick with what they supply so you have better support and warranties.

Other than that, after reading Pool School, come back with specific questions.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

It might be better if you post a "bid" including all the items/features you are looking for in your build so we have more specifics. There is a good article in pool school under pool equipment regarding types of filters.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you so much Mas and Woody...great ideas. We get our first bid on gunite tomorrow so I will post the info from that....and I will start looking at the suggested links. You guys ROCK!!!

P & C

P.S. - ok...I'm reading through Pool School now...WOW...everything I need to know and more is right there...the site is overwhelmingly great and I had not visited that area yet...just want to say thanks again for the direction and thank you for this site!
    Last edited by Paul & Crystal; 05-31-2014 at 10:42 AM. Reason: Update