NJ Winter, lots of loose tile and coping

king908

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 14, 2013
Well the nightmare happened today when opening the pool.
The NJ Winter and Long Freeze took a tole on the pool.
I have lost tiles before, and just get new mortar and grout, and fix it up,
This time the damage is way more extensive, and the Coping on top of the section is loose. I can pick it up.
There is no mortar stuck to the bottom at all of the coping which I found odd.

So suggestions please? I need to drain low enough below the line, let it dry out.
Going to get fresh bag or waterline mortar and grout from the tile store.

Do I just chip or chisel away a good amount of the mortar and replace? Should I use a tile saw to cut the mortar between the coping pieces off? or chisel with a dead hammer.

attachment.php

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 35
Good Luck King908! I can't answer this but someone can!

If you have an angle grinder, that will probably work best. Chisel off ALL the thinset and mortar if you do not.

You need to remove virtually all the old mortar both on the scum tile line and underneath the coping.

Test the tiles next to the loose ones......if they have come loose, they will give off a "hollow" sound when you tap them (very lightly) with a hammer. These need to be reset also.

I have done this work and I would not suggest it as someones' first tile job. It is more labor intensive than you might think and it will take some patience and skill to make it look professional.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.