pool store chlorine vs. common laundry bleach

Jun 6, 2011
Regular 'not fancy' laundry bleach has about 5% chlorine, the pool store guy says the chlorine level of the bleach he sells is around 13%.
I have no way of knowing if this is true, but it does seem stronger. Is there a standard strength for pool store bleach?
Is it worth the extra money over regular laundry bleach?

Since last year, most bleach has now risen to 8.25% Just beware of anything that does NOT have that % listed on the label. Bleach is available up to 12.5% mostly from pool stores. Can also be called liquid shock.

If it's freshly manufactured, it does save bottles to lug around. Check the price per hypochlorite. $ cost/ounces/% hypochlorite. Compare that to store bleach. Also, higher % of hypochlorite will decay faster. So buy 12.5% stuff fresh and use it within a month or so if you go that route.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

As others have said, be aware of old stock, particularly this time of year with Spring sales, that 12% may be left over from last year and really now no stronger than the fresh bleach on the shelves at the grocery store

Thanks, my pool is fairly small so the savings would be neglible. I didn't know that Chlorine lost potency so quickly. Being from Florida where year round use of pools is common, I doubt that the pool store stocks are very old. I side with the convenience of using the "jug" from the pool store and trusting the readings of my Taylor test kit. Thanks for the input.

The only place I'd trust for fresh bleach is a big box that gets bleach in two or three times a week. When I buy bleach it's at Wal-Mart where I know it's always fresh. I've seen the same stock of bleach at home depot that was there last year, and then it was 6 mos old!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.