Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: pool store chlorine vs. common laundry bleach

1. Back To Top    #1

pool store chlorine vs. common laundry bleach

Regular 'not fancy' laundry bleach has about 5% chlorine, the pool store guy says the chlorine level of the bleach he sells is around 13%.
    I have no way of knowing if this is true, but it does seem stronger. Is there a standard strength for pool store bleach?
    Is it worth the extra money over regular laundry bleach?
    6600 gal IG concrete/gemcoat
    Fresh water
    1 HP motor
    StayRite PLM 100 system 2 filter
    full sun
    Treasure coast, Florida

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: pool store chlorine vs. common laundry bleach

Since last year, most bleach has now risen to 8.25% Just beware of anything that does NOT have that % listed on the label. Bleach is available up to 12.5% mostly from pool stores. Can also be called liquid shock.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

If it's freshly manufactured, it does save bottles to lug around. Check the price per hypochlorite. $ cost/ounces/% hypochlorite. Compare that to store bleach. Also, higher % of hypochlorite will decay faster. So buy 12.5% stuff fresh and use it within a month or so if you go that route.

Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

4. Back To Top    #4

Clorox and some store brands are 8.25% But they can drop dramatically. I saw some for sale once that was 1.75%.

Pool chlorine is commonly 10% or 12.5%.

If you crunch some numbers, you can figure out which way is cheaper per percentage/ounce. Here's just one of many threads discussing cost comparisons. Post 3 is probably the one you want.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

As others have said, be aware of old stock, particularly this time of year with Spring sales, that 12% may be left over from last year and really now no stronger than the fresh bleach on the shelves at the grocery store
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks, my pool is fairly small so the savings would be neglible. I didn't know that Chlorine lost potency so quickly. Being from Florida where year round use of pools is common, I doubt that the pool store stocks are very old. I side with the convenience of using the "jug" from the pool store and trusting the readings of my Taylor test kit. Thanks for the input.
    6600 gal IG concrete/gemcoat
    Fresh water
    1 HP motor
    StayRite PLM 100 system 2 filter
    full sun
    Treasure coast, Florida

7. Back To Top    #7

The only place I'd trust for fresh bleach is a big box that gets bleach in two or three times a week. When I buy bleach it's at Wal-Mart where I know it's always fresh. I've seen the same stock of bleach at home depot that was there last year, and then it was 6 mos old!
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir
    Intermatic P1353ME digital timer w/freeze sensor
    CircuPool Si-45 SWCG System
    Polaris 280 vacuum/Polaris PB4-60 boost pump
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3hp Pump--Pentair sand filter