Clumps of little brown bugs

Jun 6, 2011
It's pretty hot in Florida these days, and the summer thunderstorms are here as well. I notice that at this time of year I sometimes get up in the morning to find clumps of little brown bugs on the surface of my pool. They are definetly alive and appear to be similar to an ant. I'm wondering if anyone else here at TFP is familiar with this problem and what, if anything can be done to prevent it.

Yes I have the same bugs as you are talking about. I usually only see them after the rains like we have had that last 6 days. If your pool isn't skimming properly you will see more of them. Scoop them with a net and be done with them.

Yep. They gather after the rains. I use my skimmer to gather them up and then rinse them off the skimmer with the hose.
Is there some automatice skimming that would eliminate this?
No, I do not leave the pump on over night. My pool temp is currently 83 degrees and I am running the pump 7 hours during the day.

Only a couple of things I can think of to stop them from their late night dip in your pool would be to cage it or possibly setting up a bait trap away from your pool and hope they use that instead. Most automatic ways I know of require the pump to be running. Your skimmer would handle it then anyway. The only skimmer I know of that doesn't require a pump would be the solar skimmer. There may be an electric version, I don't know.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.