Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Clumps of little brown bugs

1. Back To Top    #1

Clumps of little brown bugs

It's pretty hot in Florida these days, and the summer thunderstorms are here as well. I notice that at this time of year I sometimes get up in the morning to find clumps of little brown bugs on the surface of my pool. They are definetly alive and appear to be similar to an ant. I'm wondering if anyone else here at TFP is familiar with this problem and what, if anything can be done to prevent it.
    6600 gal IG concrete/gemcoat
    Fresh water
    1 HP motor
    StayRite PLM 100 system 2 filter
    full sun
    Treasure coast, Florida

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Clumps of little brown bugs

Do you keep the pump running overnight?
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Yes I have the same bugs as you are talking about. I usually only see them after the rains like we have had that last 6 days. If your pool isn't skimming properly you will see more of them. Scoop them with a net and be done with them.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

4. Back To Top    #4

Might be springtails.
    23.6x14 IG free form ~8K gallon, Pentair VS 3050 Intelliflo, GloBrite LED lighting w/IntelliBrite controller, Aztec Cobalt water tile. CLI Carolina Blue pebble finish, Bronze pool cage, 336 sqft Heliocol solar heating. Build Thread and landscaping Solar heating install

5. Back To Top    #5

Yep. They gather after the rains. I use my skimmer to gather them up and then rinse them off the skimmer with the hose.
    Is there some automatice skimming that would eliminate this?
    No, I do not leave the pump on over night. My pool temp is currently 83 degrees and I am running the pump 7 hours during the day.
    6600 gal IG concrete/gemcoat
    Fresh water
    1 HP motor
    StayRite PLM 100 system 2 filter
    full sun
    Treasure coast, Florida

6. Back To Top    #6

Only a couple of things I can think of to stop them from their late night dip in your pool would be to cage it or possibly setting up a bait trap away from your pool and hope they use that instead. Most automatic ways I know of require the pump to be running. Your skimmer would handle it then anyway. The only skimmer I know of that doesn't require a pump would be the solar skimmer. There may be an electric version, I don't know.
    23.6x14 IG free form ~8K gallon, Pentair VS 3050 Intelliflo, GloBrite LED lighting w/IntelliBrite controller, Aztec Cobalt water tile. CLI Carolina Blue pebble finish, Bronze pool cage, 336 sqft Heliocol solar heating. Build Thread and landscaping Solar heating install