Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Green pool. First time pool owner

1. Back To Top    #1

Green pool. First time pool owner

20140531_083705.jpg
    We bought a new house last august. Came with the in-ground pool.
    We just opened it and the pool is green. I bought the TF100 kit and I finally did some tests this morning.

FC 0
    pH 8.2
    CYA 0
    Green Algae
    TA 30

I bought enough chemicals to start the SLAM process. I do have some questions before I start:
    Should I fix the PH and CYA before I start the SLAM process?

I have read a lot of good information during the last couple of days.
    I will update my profile with more information about my pool in 30 minutes.

Thank you!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Green pool. First time pool owner

If your pool has a plaster surface well will need to know your CH. Yes lower pH to about 7.2, add enough CYA to reach 30 ppm then start the slam. Keep the pump running 24/7 during the process and clean the filter whenever there is a 20% rise from clean pressure.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the help. My pool is vinyl. I will use the calculator to see how much I need. Should I add the dry acid first and Cyanuric Acid later or can I add both at the same time? One more question: Should I worry about the low TA reading? Thanks!!!
    In-ground vinyl pool, 21,000 gallons, 1HP Hayward pump, Hayward sand filter filtration rate (GPM/ft2) = 20, filtration/backwash design flow rate = 52 GPM, pressure = 50psi

4. Back To Top    #4

Don't worry about the TA for now.

Put the CYA in a sock, and hang it in front of a return, or put the sock in the skimmer basket.

Dissolve your acid in a bucket, then slowly pour it in front of a running return.

Check your pH in about an hour, and if it's close to 7.2, start your SLAM.

Your target FC should be 12, and you will need to keep it there. Don't let it drop below that number.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

While it is quite rare, I think I would bring the TA up first. Normally, it is fine to keep leave the TA alone but your's is quite low and would do well to be adjusted before pH.

1. Adjust TA to 100 - use BAKING SODA

2. Lower pH down to about 7.2 7.5 - Use muriatic acid. (your TA will come down some also....that's OK and that's why we raised it in the first place.)

3. Add the CYA as suggested above.

Each of these steps can be done one right after another.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

They got you covered. I just wanted to say, great picture!

Please keep us updated with photos through all the phases.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

Great. I am going to the pool store and a hardware store!
    In-ground vinyl pool, 21,000 gallons, 1HP Hayward pump, Hayward sand filter filtration rate (GPM/ft2) = 20, filtration/backwash design flow rate = 52 GPM, pressure = 50psi

8. Back To Top    #8

Added all the chemicals.
    Baking soda - 21 pounds.
    muriatic acid - 34.6% - 22 ounces

CYA (powder) - I put two socks into the skimmer, it is slowly dissolving.
    I will measure in 30 minutes and report back.

This is a great website! The guy at the store was trying to sell me all kinds of chemicals: algecide, tablets and other stuff.

9. Back To Top    #9

Latest results
    FC 0
    TA 100
    pH 8.2

PH didn't go down. Should I add more acid or wait? I waited an hour after I added the chemical to measure the PH.

I just realized that TA moves the PH calculation. I was adding chemicals for the TA value of 30 - which was 24 oz of muriatic acid.
    I have the TA of 100 now - this requires 64 oz of muriatic acid.

Thanks!

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by kuzya View Post
    Latest results
    FC 0
    TA 100
    pH 8.2

PH didn't go down. Should I add more acid or wait? I waited an hour after I added the chemical to measure the PH.

Thanks!
    The highest the tester can read is 8.2, so anything over that will show up as 8.2. You could have easily been 9.2. Just plug your numbers into poolmath again and add acid again. One of these times, you'll see a change. After that, it should behave right.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

11. Back To Top    #11

I added 60 oz of acid. I will test in 30 minutes

12. Back To Top    #12

I love these threads
    TFP Moderator Chris V. ~16K Pool & Spa, 48NSF DE, IG Plaster Circa 2000, Intermatic PE653, Challenger pump with a 2 speed B2984, 20gal stenner chlorine injection, Houston, TX
    One cannot follow Islam and Christianity at the same time, nor can one follow pool store methods and TFP at the same time.
    Pool School -- Pool Math -- TF-Test Kit

13. Back To Top    #13

good news: PH is at 7.2. SLAM is on. I added 380 oz of bleach. I will test FC in 15 minutes.

14. Back To Top    #14

FC is at 12. The bad news is that PH is back to 8.0. Should I lower it? I also tested CYA and it is still 0
    Any suggestions?

Thanks!

15. Back To Top    #15

Ignore the ph while cl is that high. It's not an accurate ph reading.
    TFP Moderator Chris V. ~16K Pool & Spa, 48NSF DE, IG Plaster Circa 2000, Intermatic PE653, Challenger pump with a 2 speed B2984, 20gal stenner chlorine injection, Houston, TX
    One cannot follow Islam and Christianity at the same time, nor can one follow pool store methods and TFP at the same time.
    Pool School -- Pool Math -- TF-Test Kit

16. Back To Top    #16

yep..just worry about keeping your chlorine at shock level!...don't worry about anything else right now. Let's get your pool clear, and algae killed, then we can adjust your pH, CYA, etc. Also if you just added CYA..it can take up to a week to get an accurate reading. so be patient young padujuan!
    33' x 52" Swim and Play Inc. PARAGON AGP. Hayward H200 Heater. Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.5hp pump. Sta-Rite Cristal Flo T-210WF Sand Filter. Stenner 45M5 chlorine pump

17. Back To Top    #17

Good news. I was worried that I did something wrong.

I will continue to SLAM.

18. Back To Top    #18

20140531_195834.jpg

It is hard to see on the picture but it is light green instead of dark green color.
    How often should I check the FC level?

FC level went down to 9. I added another gallon of bleach.

Thanks!

19. Back To Top    #19

well there's no real hard and fast rule as to how often you need to check you FC. If you follow the SLAM procedures, they say not more than every hour, and not LESS than twice a day. When I've done the SLAM, I usually checked every 6-8 hours...being sure to check once after sunset, and then again first thing in the morning.

Dan
    33' x 52" Swim and Play Inc. PARAGON AGP. Hayward H200 Heater. Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.5hp pump. Sta-Rite Cristal Flo T-210WF Sand Filter. Stenner 45M5 chlorine pump

20. Back To Top    #20

Green pool. First time pool owner

In the beginning of a SLAM the more often you can test FC and keep it at SLAM level the quicker it will go. Every hour would be premium but lifestyle would probably prohibit that. So test as often as you can and bring your FC back to SALM level as needed. Later in the process when your FC starts to hold longer you can back off on the frequency of testing.
    You can also go a couple of ticks higher on your SLAM FC level 😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast