Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Installed new Hayward VS pump with issues...

1. Back To Top    #1

Installed new Hayward VS pump with issues...

I have a 18x36 inground with a Hayward DE filter. Recently I moved my filter approx 50 feet from my pool... I also decided I wanted to get a new VS pump to cut energy costs.... My issue is that it never seems to prime all the way... I do get pressure from the return lines to the pool with maybe a little air in the returns.... I am curious if my 1 1/2 suction and returns could cause the inability of the pump to prime.... I used the same size lines as what the pool is plumbed with..I am not necessarily concerned about the pump not being full, I do not have any water appliances so it is just filtering.... I guess my main question is will the filter clean the water even though it is not totally primed?
    Any advice would be appreciated...
    TIA
    18X36 inground with vinyl liner.. Hayward DE .... Upgraded to Hayward Ecostar
    26,700 gallons....

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Installed new Hayward VS pump with issues...

If the pump basket is not full you are getting air in the system. How high is the water level in the pool? Is it at least 1/2 way up the skimmer? If the water level is high enough check that the o-ring on the pump strainer lid is lubed and seated correctly. You may also need to check the above ground plumbing from the skimmer to the pump for air leaks. Check each pipe joint by drizzling water over them and watching to see if it gets sucked into the plumbing.

It is important to track down how air is getting into the system. Air leaks tend to worsen over time if not corrected and I would hate to see you burn up a brand new pump by running it dry.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I have checked the water level in the skimmer.... it is high enough to prevent air suction....
    I also checked the suction from the bottom of the skimmer, and it is enough to pull my fingers in the pipe if I cover the pipe so I think there is not a problem with that..... I really have very limited plumbing above ground, but I will check the joints I see with water.... what should I lube the basket cover oring with??
    Thanks
    18X36 inground with vinyl liner.. Hayward DE .... Upgraded to Hayward Ecostar
    26,700 gallons....

4. Back To Top    #4

Sounds like you could use a one way check valve in the line just before the pump to keep it from draining back down in the line any.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

5. Back To Top    #5

You want a silicone or teflon based plumbers lubricant. Just about any hardware store will have it, as will most pool stores.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School