CL Level (b/f leaving today)

nupoolsoon

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 7, 2008
Hi,

We are leaving for two days and this is the first time we are leaving our pool too. If we typically lose btwn 1.5-2.0ppm per day, I would not want our CL level to drop below 2.5-3.0 b/f we get home, so should I bring our level up to 7.5? It is currently at 4.5.

Also, we have a dark liner pool, and everyone we talk to comments on how beautiful it is, but we need to be careful we do not bleach it out. Can high CL levels in the pool cause the liner to "bleach out"?

Thx.

PS We are supposed to have our SWG connected correctly on Wednesday so should be the end of the bleach bottles (keeping our fingers crossed).

My liner bleached out when I was not using BBB. I put in the "winterizing" kit products the pool store sold me, one of which I believe to be granular chlorine. Apparently it didn't completely dissolve before we took apart the filter, etc., so it settled along the bottom edge of the pool, bleaching this area out. It happened about 3 years ago.

I notice no change in my liner using regular chlorine bleach. I've shocked a few times. I believe that bleaching liners happens from 'OVER' chlorination, people guessing about their shock level, not testing properly, etc., I don't think you'll bleach your liner just this once....

Sounds like a good idea, bump it up a bit. I doubt anything will happen to your water in 2 days, especially if you are well above your FC target. Your liner certainly won't bleach out in 2 days from bumping up your chlorine a tad higher.

Enjoy your vacation! Most important remember that regardless of your pool's condition when you get home you have the knowledge on how to clear it up, if you come home to cloudiness or green water. It doesn't sound like you'll be gone long, so I wouldn't worry, just relax and have fun!

I am going to bring the Cl to about 6.0-6.5. I have had the CL level down to 2.5 in the morning with no issues, so I would think I will be fine.

FrustratedPoolMom - the same thing happened to a friend of mine the first winter she closed her pool. Although she had someone close it for her, but they did not let all the granulars dissolve completely so when she opened it the spring, there was a bleached line in the middle. She actually went through their insurance and got a new liner last year.

I guess her experience has me more paranoid. I have no idea who I am going to have close my pool this first year. Like you, I do not trust anyone with a dark liner. I only see on TFP guidance to close an above-ground pool. I am willing to have someone close it for me provided I give them the closing chemicals, which I would prefer to be liquid so they do dissolve properly.

I know this is way ahead of the game, but can you tell me what you use to close your pool? Is there a specific brand that is prone to NOT bleaching?

Last year was the first year I closed BBB method and not purchasing a "winterizing kit". I WAS SO SCARED!!!

But I asked many questions on here, I was surprised at how many people on here don't even cover their pool in the winter, even in areas where it freezes solid. I was willing to take the plunge with not buying the kit, but I WAS COVERING IT!

Anyway, when I went to buy the winter cover, I read the ingredients in the "kit" It's just granular clorine, algaecide and something to adjust PH or ALK. The last made no sense to me as the instructions are so vague and it doesn't say why you need to add the last.....it doesn't tell you to test your water first....

I decided the kits are a gimmic for $30+ and unneccessary. So I shocked my pool according to the CYA chart and threw the cover on. (The guru's on here recommended I add Polyquat 60, the only algaecide they recommend) I forgot about the Polyquat, I had planned to order it online, cause none of the stores carried it here. But I forgot, and closed the pool anyway. So when I realized what I had done I was even more nervous that I screwed up!

So I was quite excited to lift up the cover the first week in May and see crystal clear water!!!!

I think what helped me is we had a Fall that got colder, earlier then normal. It wasn't our usual mild weather, it was January weather in Nov/Dec. Also, it was a very cold spring, none of the usual April heat waves we get from time to time.

I opened early May, before the weather got too hot and the water warmed up much. Algae grows when the air/water is 55-60 degrees or more, so the earlier you open the better, before it gets a chance to take hold. I still had a FC of 1ppm :mrgreen:

I don't know that the weather conditions will be so lucky this year so I'm going to order the Polyquat and add it this time, not going to chance it again, LOL.

I wouldn't worry about shocking with a dark liner. I do believe that bleaching out is caused by people who don't understand water chemistry, and overchlorination or using granular, like me, not dissolving it properly and not having proper circulation.

Hope this helped...

You lose a percentage of your starting FC level each day, not a fix amount of chlorine each day. That means you need to add extra chlorine, more than you would normally use, if you are going to be away.

Any FC level up to shock level should be fine for the liner.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.