Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How to replace Cell below water level

1. Back To Top    #1

How to replace Cell below water level

So, my salt cell needs replacement after 7 years of use. I am trying to figure out the best way to replace it given that my equipment pad is below the water level of the pool.

I am able to shut off the lines feeding the pump with a Jandy valve. However there is no such valve on the return side. The only thing I can think of is to plug all my returns in the pool. I have 3 returns plus a Polaris line. That wouldn't take too long, but I am wondering if there is even a better way to deal with this?

Thanks!
    TF-100 Test kit, 24,000 gal. free form Vinyl. mybluepool AC-600 SWG, STA-RITE S7MD60 DE filter, 3/4 HP STA-RITE MPRA6D pump, Polaris 280 w/booster, Raypack Propane heater, Looplock mesh cover; All located in New England.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How to replace Cell below water level

Not any better way than what you already know. You're gonna have to plug those returns to change the cell.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

3. Back To Top    #3

Depending on the return, they can often be plugged temporarily with ping pong balls.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

I didn't have any ping pong balls, so I just ended up plugging the lines. Took all of 5 minutes. With the lines plugged and leaving the cover to the pump on, I must have created an air-lock. Lost about a pint of water is all
    TF-100 Test kit, 24,000 gal. free form Vinyl. mybluepool AC-600 SWG, STA-RITE S7MD60 DE filter, 3/4 HP STA-RITE MPRA6D pump, Polaris 280 w/booster, Raypack Propane heater, Looplock mesh cover; All located in New England.