Laceygirls New Pool - Intex 18 x 9 x 52....

My home theater screen is a 4x8 sheet of <some slightly textured laminate, I forget the brand but something like Formica>.

It was about $30, works really well, and my friends with $$$ screens have been thinking about trading them in for a sheet of laminate like I have to get a brighter image.

Glad to see you got it all figured out. I enjoy your updates.

Love the dive in movie idea. My friend just used a big white sheet on the side of her house. I like the piece of laminate idea too, very easy and if it gets splashed, no harm done.

MermaidMama

18' Round x 52" Doughboy AGP
Powerline XP Pump 1.5 HP
Aquaview 20"Sand Filter
TF-100 Test Kit

JUST WAITING ON INSTALL!

Bridgman, I'd love to see a pic of it, if you could please post one? It could also be your projector, some are much brighter than others....

I was looking at the new stretchy screens, I've seen them up close and they're amazing, and TOTALLY MACHINE WASHABLE... But a retractable screen which I thought was going to be hundreds, is under $100 delivered.... I mean that's insanely good... And its 3D capable, so is the projector I'm looking at....

Nothing fancy -- just a 4x8 sheet mounted a bit too low on the wall. I left it as 4x8 so I could run a cheapo "constant area" setup, so for 1.78:1 format I zoom out a bit and the image occupies the full height of the screen while for 2.35:1 I zoom in a bit so the image occupies the full width. Getting a bit tired of all that zooming so probably will cut it down to ~1.78 eventually.

Might even use some solvent to take the barcode sticker off the lower left corner :D

All of our projectors are roughly the same brightness (mine is an old Sanyo PLV-Z4) although mine probably is a bit brighter. The primary factor though is that they went with grey screens to get better contrast with higher ambient light levels, while I went with something closer to white.

There's no free lunch with screens -- it's mostly a matter of guessing right about the viewing conditions you'll face. As it turned out, none of us had time to watch movies except when it was already dark out, so the whole ambient light / gray screen issue turned out to be a red herring. My friends could have gone with high gain lenticular screens to give a brighter image at the expense of viewing angle, but I ended up needing a wide viewing angle so got doubly lucky with my white-ish matt-ish hunk of cheap Formica.

I remember being overwhelmed by the wide range of good screens that were available, and was going crazy trying to pick "the best one". I picked up the Formica sheet as a stopgap solution to let me stop thinking about screens and start watching movies, but 8 years later I'm still really happy with it other than the height and that stupid sticker.

Attachments

• tub14.jpg
    tub14.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 429
Glad to see you got it all figured out. I enjoy your updates.

Love the dive in movie idea. My friend just used a big white sheet on the side of her house. I like the piece of laminate idea too, very easy and if it gets splashed, no harm done.

MermaidMama

Thanks Mermaid Mama... :)The Projector and screen is the one thing that's spurring my hubby on to keep letting me spend money on this pool and install.... lol :)

The electrician comes tomorrow to put in my outdoor powerpoints.... I'm getting 2 double outlets, so I'll have 4 places to plug things in... I'll need three of them for the solar pump, the pool pump and the peristaltic pump, and the other one can be for the projector.... :party: Luckily I have a spare powerpoint in the garage for the bar fridge... :)

He should be here at about 3.30-4pm tomorrow, so I'll be sure to take pics... He's putting in a whole new separate circuit for outside, so I'll have more than enough power... :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If I were you, I would get 5hree doubles. Something will come up down the road and it will save you tons of cash doing it now rather than having him come back out.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

I honestly won't need it Mac.... My garage is right next to the pool, that's the wall I've posted a pic of, and there's plenty of power available in there... :) I'm sorta kinda limiting myself to the amount of bells and whistles I want to put on this pool.... The projector won't be used all the time so I'll technically still have a spare...:)

YAY, my Hayward Thru The Wall Skimmer showed up early this morning... :) It was a lovely surprise...

Its huge... It doesn't look that big when attached to pool....lol... I cracked the package open and made sure everything was there.....

I'll box it back up and put it next to my Stenner Pump and wait till September.... :)

I've got a feeling I'll be saying that about the pump and filter too Divin' Dave.... :laughblue: Wait till I fill the pool with water.... heheeh
When we were putting the frame together, I looked at hubby and said "Wow babe, that's gonna be huge".... lol...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.