Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Bioguard Optimizer Plus question

1. Back To Top    #1

Bioguard Optimizer Plus question

I am thinking of adding 20 pounds of bioguard optimizer plus purchased last month. basically it is the chemicals that i was unable to return to the pool store. My TF 100 test results are all inline. TA is 90 and PH is 7.8 and I will lower to 7.4 before adding. Water is perfectly clear. However, i have researched and found conflicting information on the Optimizer plus. pool math says it will dramatically increase PH and TA requiring a lot of acid to lower PH. however, other readings indicate that it is relatively PH neutral but will need some acid to lower a couple of gallons. My Borates are currently around 9 per the LPS (i used optimizer several years ago but i drained more than half of the pool when opening this year). I don't recall the affect on the pool when used previously.

A little comfort in directions would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
    17k gallons, IG pebble, cartridge; TF-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Bioguard Optimizer Plus question

Bioguard Optimizer is tetraborate pentahydrate, and will drastically increase PH. Bioguard Optimizer Plus is essentially PH neutral. In the past there were a few batches of Bioguard Optimizer Plus that were mixed incorrectly and were not PH neutral, but they seem to have resolved that issue long ago.

By the by, borate levels below 30 are relatively ineffective. There isn't a lot of value to going part way.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

The Bioguard Optimizer is not PH neutral. You can add it in phases, monitor the PH and TA as you go, as with typical borate additions.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

4. Back To Top    #4

Check out this sticky, it may answer your questions.

So you want to add borates to your pool--Why and How
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon