Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Swimming pool enclosure

1. Back To Top    #1

Swimming pool enclosure

How expensive to build an enclosure around the pool?
    in-ground 20'000 gal; AK60431 cartridge filter x 4; Pentair MiniMax NT heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Swimming pool enclosure

It tends to be what I call wildly expensive, many enclosures are $12K or higher, generally higher. In some parts of the country it is still totally worth it, in others no one bothers.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I had to re-roof my indoor pool which was built in 1980 a couple of years ago, here is the thread on the subject, cost for the new roof, blown in insulation, etc was about $20,000, hopefully it will be good for another 30+ years (the metal roof purlins had rusted through in places, old ones were red finish type, new ones are galvanized) Reused existing I-Beams which just had surface rust and existing concrete walls. Replacing the sliding glass doors is on the to do list, in the next year or two hopefully.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...-at-the-moment

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

4. Back To Top    #4

Is it cheaper to make it from wood (pine) than metal (steel)?

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion View Post
    It tends to be what I call wildly expensive, many enclosures are $12K or higher...
    The cover rope replacement just X10 times less

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

A couple of years ago we built, for a customer, an addition on a house big enough to house a nice size in ground pool. Had 8' wide French doors (4 of them). Don't recall the actual dimensions. It had a cathedral type ceiling. This was to house 6 collectable cars that he owned. Building cost $100,000
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

7. Back To Top    #7

I can't really comment on cost of wood vs steel for roofing, but I can say I would worry about using pine or any other soft wood in a potentially high humidity environment like that. All the exposed wood around my pool (walls at one end not shown much in my above linked thread) are Pecky Cypress which is known for its high resistance to rot, etc.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter

8. Back To Top    #8

They used to build ships from pine

9. Back To Top    #9

Yes, but remember a lot of wooden ship building works by the wood swelling when wet to seal the gaps.

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by pool123 View Post
    They used to build ships from pine
    Myth..

Most old wooden sailing ships were built from oak. Much stronger and rot resistant
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

11. Back To Top    #11

anyway, wooden