Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Raypak 106 Won't Ignite

1. Back To Top    #1

Raypak 106 Won't Ignite

I got a new Raypak 106, hooked it up tonight, first time I turned it on it sparked a few times and then it came on and seemed to working OK. Then it seemed to be turning off and on and finally it was off completely. I turned the switch off and back on but not hearing any spark, am I missing something?
    8200 Gal. AGP 12'x 24'x 54" Sharkline Oceanic - Hayward 1.5 Single Speed Pump - Hayward D.E. Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Raypak 106 Won't Ignite

How's your filter pressure? Some heaters have a pressure/flow switch and if your flow is reduced it won't turn on.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

Pressure is good, just did back flush.
    8200 Gal. AGP 12'x 24'x 54" Sharkline Oceanic - Hayward 1.5 Single Speed Pump - Hayward D.E. Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

It was the rollout switch, we jumpered it out and the heater started right up and worked perfectly. I was wondering if it is OK to run it without the rollout switch for a couple of days until I get a new switch.

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Is this a brand new unit? You really need to figure out why the rollout went out. If this isn't a new unit then I would check to see if the heat exchanger needs cleaning. If you run the unit without the rollout and the flames do rollout it could burn up the wiring inside and then you have a bigger issue.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by ps0303 View Post
    Is this a brand new unit? You really need to figure out why the rollout went out. If this isn't a new unit then I would check to see if the heat exchanger needs cleaning. If you run the unit without the rollout and the flames do rollout it could burn up the wiring inside and then you have a bigger issue.
    It is a new unit, what would cause it to go bad? Do they go bad often? Could it have been bad from the factory?

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Anything is possible. I'd keep my eye on it though.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

8. Back To Top    #8

Raypak is sending me a new roll-out switch.

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

I am going to guess maybe the air fuel mixture is not set right. Also, if it was going off and on prior to shutting down there may be something amiss with the exhaust. Maybe a pressure switch/blower fan problem.
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

These units don't have blower motors.

I would not know why it would have tripped the rollout but I would keep my eye on it. If it happens again, get a service person out to look at it.
    Paul

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by ps0303 View Post
    These units don't have blower motors.

Yeah, my bad. Probably should have spent some time looking that model up. We don't have anyone around here that sells Raypaks so I never really see one. Mostly Haywards
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

12. Back To Top    #12

Got the new roll-out switch, installed it, heater is working with no problems so far.