Heater for pool - electric heat pump or gas heater?

Jul 18, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
Some background before I ask my question. We live in the Philadelphia, PA suburbs so only have our pool open from about mid May to mid Sept each year. Because the temps have been low this year, we have lost out on about 2 weeks of pool time and everyone wants to get a heater. After having the pool now for 2 years (this is 3rd season), it would be great to extend the pool season - even if only for 4 weeks (2 weeks in May and 2 weeks in Sept).

I have done some basic research, but wanted to get some opinions from pool owners (not people who sell and install pool heaters) on the best brand(s) and the best type of heater (electric or gas) for our geography (Philadelphia, PA). Given that we will most likely only run the heater at the very beginning and very end of the pool season, it will not be operating non stop during the summer months. We want something reliable and effecient that won't break the bank in terms of up front and maintenance costs.

Would love to hear your thoughts. Thanks in advance.

Gas is great for short but expensive bursts of huge amounts of heat. Electric heat pump is more cost effective to maintain a temperature over weeks or months. A heat pump will not be efficient when the air is very cold.

Sounds like your usage points towards gas, but your spring and fall will be expensive. Having said that, personally I would probably lean towards a heat pump, but I would want to use it more often than you say you will yours.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

I live in the Chicago area. I have a Raypak 400BTU and it will heat my pool over 2 degrees per hour. I keep it programed at 78deg but when we want to use the pool I bump it up in the morning and can heat it to 85 degrees in a few hours. I also use it to heat our spa on demand from 78 deg. to 98 deg. in 35 minutes. This thing rocks! Oh I forget to tell you it also costs about $2.00/per hour to run when running full blast :D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.