Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Where do I go from here?

1. Back To Top    #1

Where do I go from here?

I have been slamming my pool and it is now beautifully clean and algae-free. But, where do I go from here?

Here is my situation. I realized that I do not think my swg is working. I do not know how to test it to be 100% sure, but I think it is broken. So, I guess I will have to chlorinate another way until I get it fixed or purchase a new one. What would you suggest? Here are my current readings (with my new T100 test kit! Yay!)

PH - 6.8
    TA - 50
    CH - 50
    CYA - 32
    And my Chlorine level is zero, which is how I found out my swg is not working.

Please advise me on what to do. I appreciate the help you guys provide sooo much!

6000 Gallons; Vinyl; AG; Columbia High Performance Sand Filter, 200 lb, 2 HP, 6,000 GPH; Krystal Clear SWG; 3 years old; Using TF-100 Test Kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Where do I go from here?

Raise PH up to at least 7.2 right away. CYA should be around 70 to 80 for use with a SWG, but don't raise it that high until you get everything else stable.

The PH and CYA could have been causing the problem with the SWG, rather than any problem with the SWG it's self.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

First things first: your pool is a bleach pool at the moment. So get some bleach in there now. For 32 CYA, FC target is 6. minimum is 3.

Next, add borax or soda ash or any leftover pH increaser product you might have left over from your pre-TFP days.

Allow 30 minutes between doses.

Then look at that SWG. Are there any warning lights on? Is there fizzing visible in the cell?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

You are pretty well covered with the advice above. I'd reiterate getting the CYA and pH up and add some liquid chlorine like right now!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Ok, I added bleach & got my chlorine up to 6. I also added boric acid & ph is 7.2.

I also took my swg apart & soaked it in vinegar. Now, no alarms are going off & we think we see little bubbles like it may be fizzing.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by ksumm View Post
    Ok, I added bleach & got my chlorine up to 6. I also added boric acid & ph is 7.2.

I also took my swg apart & soaked it in vinegar. Now, no alarms are going off & we think we see little bubbles like it may be fizzing.
    Excellent!

Here's how you test it. Take a big cup or pitcher and rinse it out and then push it underwater upside down next to the return closest to the SWG. Tip it up towards the return so a huge air bubble burps out and hold it about 1/" from the wall right in front of the SWG and let it flush a bit, and then hoist it out. Test that sample immediately. If it's higher than the FC in the pool, it's working.

The bad news is, if it's working but your pool was down to zero FC, something is consuming it. It could be the low CYA letting the sun zap it, or it could be algae. An overnight loss test will isolate it for you.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    Here's how you test it. Take a big cup or pitcher and rinse it out and then push it underwater upside down next to the return closest to the SWG. Tip it up towards the return so a huge air bubble burps out and hold it about 1/" from the wall right in front of the SWG and let it flush a bit, and then hoist it out. Test that sample immediately. If it's higher than the FC in the pool, it's working.
    Drat. I was hoping for a hydrogen flame test.
    20,000 gal in-ground plaster pool with sand filter. Replastered recently. Mostly adding bleach and acid. CYA was high when I took over.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by ksumm View Post

Are you sure you added Boric Acid?
    13500 Gal. Above Ground. Vinyl. Hayward E-100 Highrate Sand Filter with Hayward Power Flow LX pump. Installed 2006.