slamming pool

Stabilizer is CYA aka Cyanuric Acid. You buy it at the pool store, or walmart, or the pool section at a big box hardware store. For a pool your size, you only need 1½ lbs to get to 30 parts per million. Dry volume = 3 cups. Wash your good measuring cup out well when you're done with it.;) You pour it in a sock or nylon and tie it shut and drop it in the skimmer or hang it over the edge of the pool in front of the return. It will take a few days to dissolve all the way. That's it.

Jugs Away!

- - - Updated - - -

Target 12 FC with 30 CYA.

ok before I asked about slamming and stabilizing at the same time I had already knew what my cya was and knew the appropriate level for FC so I had already added my bleach. I just didn't know if I should stabilize at the same time. So it had been about an hour before when i added the bleach and just checked and now it is reading my FC at 17.5 which when I started about an hour or so ago it was 0. Does that sound ok I just thought that was a big jump and I added exactly the amount it stated

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If your CYA level is 30 your SLAM level is 12. Your pool volume could be off. Did you add the correct strength of chlorine into pool math ? Did you put in the target level of 12 ?
You'll be ok. It'll come down. ?

At the time when I did it I only had my goal set on 10. So since it was 17.5 when I test it again should I add more if it is above 12? The way I was reading on slamming was like I might be adding alot of bleach Just sort of confused. Like I said earlier I feel so dumb.

At the time when I did it I only had my goal set on 10. So since it was 17.5 when I test it again should I add more if it is above 12? The way I was reading on slamming was like I might be adding alot of bleach Just sort of confused. Like I said earlier I feel so dumb.
Double check you have all the settings on poolmath right. If the bleach is 12% and the calculator is set for 6%, you'll overdose. Also, if the volume defaulted to 10000, and your pool is only 5000, you'll overdose.

Relax a little. It's only a pool. Nobody's grading you on this. If FC is less than 12, you need to add. If it's above 12, you don't. Just take a reading and plug it into the now column and set 12 as the target and it will tell you how much to add. Tomorrow, the light bulb will go off and it will all make sense. With pool chemistry, you do a lot of learning by doing. Maybe you're just tired. Forget about it and pick it up again in the morning.

And your not dumb. Nobody is born knowing this stuff. You'll get it with time. I promise. Just keep asking questions as the only dumb question is the one NOT asked ! ?

Just tested pool for FC and still 17.5. Vacummed up a lot of milky looking residue of some sort. As cloudy as the pool is (where I can't even see the bottom) when I scoop the water out that I am using to test with (which I do go down to about middle of pool) it is clear.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.