Fuse kit on the Pentair intellichlor IC40

May 30, 2014
allen
Hi- I'm a newbie on here, but I have a question. Recently my chlorinator stopped working and as part of troubleshooting I wanted to replace the fuse. When I accessed the control panel I noticed that I had a wire attached midway on the fuse (to a metal prong -all looked normal), and then I noticed there was another wire sitting on top of the black fuse box that looked like it was soldered on to the black fuse piece itself. At the time I thought that was odd, now I think that the wire wasn't supposed to be there. Looking a a replacement fuse kit I only see a place for one wire to attach to it. Does anyone know what that wire might be for? I looked on the board for an obvious connection and didn't see one so it didn't really look like it had fallen off and looking at the manual I can't really tell how/what it should be for. Any help before I have to pay would be appreciated it!!

Hi Rashbrook, Is this what you are looking at?

521248z.jpg

if not, can you get a picture of it?

Alan E- that is what I was talking about-on the kit in the control panel the wire was melted on to the top of that and I couldn't tell there was a clip there. I went ahead and ordered a new fuse kit and installed that and still don't have power to the chlorinator. I assume that means it still could either be the cell itself which is about 6 years old, or there may be an issue in the control panel. Is there a way you know of to help troubleshoot which one it might be?? Thanks for your response-btw!

Without a multimeter you'd only be guessing. If you have one you can make sure the fuse, which is the gray part in the upper left, is still good. If the fuse was replaced and it blew again you have an issue somewhere else. Possibly the cable to the swcg has a short or too much current going to the fuse.

If the fuse is good, is it getting power?
...If no, you can look back to where the power comes to the fuse.
...If yes, follow the path from the fuse to the swcg until you find where you no longer have power.

If you have power at the swcg and it isn't functioning it's a good possibility that you need to replace the unit.

If you have never used a multimeter before, ask for help. Lots of current that could turn your day bad in half a cycle. Not trying to talk down to you. I just don't know how familiar you are with electrical work. If you knew all this, please forgive.:cool:

AlanE- Thanks again- I had someone tell me that the fuse (although I checked it twice), wasn't seated properly because it didn't pass the continuity test and after a few more tries with it- I got power back to the salt cell!!!! Saved me a service call at least- Thanks!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.