Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Now What: Rogue trichlor pucks burned my colored plaster

1. Back To Top    #1

Now What: Rogue trichlor pucks burned my colored plaster

First off, first post ever but I have been a reader for quite some time and would like to thank regular contributors for making this first time pool owner much more knowledgeable. I now need advice on what to do next.

While we were out on Memorial day weekend, my Polaris 280 got bored of cleaning and decided it was a good idea to dump over my chlorine floater somehow breaking the plastic tabs holding the lid on, and dumping three fresh 3" pucks of Trichlor to the bottom of the shallow end. The polaris proceeded to play hockey with the pucks of Trichlor for a night or two, moving them around the shallow end. After it shut off for the night, the pucks burned nice 3 inch marks onto my blue colored plaster and the process repeated itself for several nights before I came home and discovered the horror . Now I have about 18 puck shaped marks mostly in the shallow end that have made their mark (pun somewhat intended).

I just got the pool plastered 3 years ago and I have enjoyed it so far. We had a 3.1 earthquake in early 2013 and that caused a 20ft cosmetic crack to appear down the middle of the shallow end ramp leading to the deep end. Fortunately there are no leaks, so it is just cosmetic. Other than the cosmetic crack, it has been fine up until Memorial day weekend. Now i have circles everywhere in the plaster. I have tried to scrub it with a brush but have not tried anything else because I fear I may cause more harm than good. Here are a few photos of the problem but they are kind of hard to see (they are more noticeable in real life) and they stick out like a sore thumb.

20140530_154119.jpg
    20140530_154150.jpg

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do short of replastering now? The local pool store recommends draining pool and acid washing plaster and lightly power wash afterwards. They also say i need to drain partially anyways due to my higher than normal CYA readings (listed below).

Background:
    • 16,500 gallon pool located in Dallas, TX
    • Replastered, new tile, new coping -March 2012
    • Plaster is Finest Finish "Sparkle Quartz" brand - Lakeside color (http://www.finestfinishpools.com/products-sparkle.html)
    • I monitor my pool chemistry daily in summer, 2-3x weekly in off season and keep it within recommended parameters all year round.
      -I get a pool water test done monthly at the local pool supply store just to make sure my readings are accurate.
      -Currently everything is within spec chemistry wise except CYA is at 70 (pool store readings taken 5-29-14). I discontinued use of any stabilized chlorine product to avoid adding more CYA to the equation.

Any & all helpful advice on what to do next from all knowledgeable parties is welcome.

Thanks,
    chrisivc
    Last edited by chrisivc; 05-30-2014 at 05:18 PM. Reason: forgot to mention, I discontinued use of any stabilized chlorine product to avoid adding more CYA

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Now What: Rogue trichlor pucks burned my colored plaster

Welcome to TFP!!!

Unfortunately, I do not think there is a fix for this besides a re-plaster. They have faded the color out of the plaster due to the acidic nature of the pucks.
    BTW, you need to stop using those pucks if your CYA is already up at 70ppm.

For any readers, this is why you should not throw acidic pucks or stabilizer granules into any pool as they can damage the plaster or liner.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

There is no good solution here. An acid wash should indeed clean up the marks, but it will also shorten the life of the plaster by a few years.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Welcome to TFP!!!

Unfortunately, I do not think there is a fix for this besides a re-plaster. They have faded the color out of the plaster due to the acidic nature of the pucks.
    BTW, you need to stop using those pucks if your CYA is already up at 70ppm.

For any readers, this is why you should not throw acidic pucks or stabilizer granules into any pool as they can damage the plaster or liner.
    Thanks for the welcome,

I forgot to mention that the pucks are gone and the pool is on a liquid chlorine and stabilizer free shock diet ever since the CYA reading was discovered. No more stabilized products for this pool!