Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Does Flow Affect Chlorine Generation?

1. Back To Top    #1

Does Flow Affect Chlorine Generation?

Hi,

I found an Intex SWG on clearance and am considering plumbing it into my in-ground pool. I'd like to plumb it into a by-pass loop so that I don't constrict my current flow. My question is, does flow affect chlorine generation? If the SWG is on a by-pass and therefore not getting as much flow through it as if it were on the main return line, does it generate less chlorine or does it generate the same amount of chlorine per hour regardless of flow? I understand that a certain minimum flow is necessary for it to work, but I don't think that will be a problem with the by-pass idea.

Thanks!
    Chris
    14k gallon in-ground pool, Hayward Max-Flo II 3/4 hp pump & Hayward Perflex EC-50AC DE Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Does Flow Affect Chlorine Generation?

No flow does not affect generation (assuming you have enough). They either generate or they don't if the flow is too low.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the help!
    14k gallon in-ground pool, Hayward Max-Flo II 3/4 hp pump & Hayward Perflex EC-50AC DE Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

I would have to disagree in some instances. I replaced a single speed pump with a VS Pump, and my pool runs at 1700 RPM for most of the day, where it used to run at about 3200 RPM. In order to maintain my target of 3 ppm, I had to increase my percentage from 40% to 80%. My SWG is an Intellichlor IC-40. If I left the unit at 40%, it would see a much smaller volume of water for the time the cell was energized. I proved this out over several days of testing.
    19204 Gallon L Shape with a 10X10 2nd Step Baja Ledge. Intellichlor IC-40, IntellipH, Cartridge Filter, Pentair Heater/Chiller (Heat Pump). Tons of Deck with Deck Jets. Construction Complete 6/5/17.

"If you don't measure it, you can't manage it!"

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes, less water passes through the cell, but the cell is producing the same amount of FC when it is generating. That is how they work.

If you had to increase the SWG % (which is just the % of time it is generating), that had nothing to do with a lower flow rate through the cell.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!