Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Leaking water

1. Back To Top    #1

Leaking water

Opened pool about a week ago, everything has been going fine until last night. I have been running the skimmer at night and did a vacuum yesterday and all was well.

Today I went out to the pool and the water had dropped 3 inches. Its not leaking out the filter or pump. Everything above ground is tight. I went out today for two hours, nothing was on and it dropped 1/4 inch.

I only have one return in to the pump. My local pool guy said I need to pressure test the system and then he said we still wont be sure what is going on. Any other insight that may help? Let me know any other info you would need for me to help you help me.

Thanks!!!
    Gunnite IG , DE FNSP36, FR90, 14000 gal.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Leaking water

The most common area for leaks in my experience is in or around the skimmer. You can get a dye test kit that you use to find the leak. Basically you shut the pool off, then go around the pool (start around the skimmer) close to the tile/plaster and when you get to the leak you'll see the dye get sucked into the wall.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Plugged up jets and skimmer holes. Still leaking. Didn't do the dye test yet.

4. Back To Top    #4

All fixed.

The problem was the hydrostatic valve in the main drain. Put a new one in and all set. The pool guy said a lot of them broke this year because of the cold winter we had.