Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Draining plaster pool in summer heat

1. Back To Top    #1

Draining plaster pool in summer heat

My pool is in desperate need of draining, however, it's 100 degrees daily and will only get hotter. Researching this site, I came upon a few posts that recommended draining and refilling simultaneously to ward off potential plaster cracking. There are two schools of thought:

The pool water is warmer than the tap water, therefore pump out from the top, refill from the bottom

The pool water is heavier than the tap water, therefore pump out from the bottom, refill from the top

Does anyone have first hand experience with this?

CH 1200
    TA 110
    pH 7.5
    TC 11
    CC 0
    FC 11
    CYA 120
    10 x 26 IG gunite/plaster
    7300 Gallons
    Hayward Tristar single speed 1 HP
    Hayward CF C4025
    Pool DOB 1/10

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Draining plaster pool in summer heat

I think you got that backward.
    If the tap water is colder than the pool (which is likely), then you should fill on the bottom and remove from the top.

There are certainly a few members who have done this. And you definitely need to replace a lot of water to get that CYA and CH down.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Central Minnesota

My position is all based on temperature. Cold water will tend to stay on the bottom, warmer water on top. The cold tap water will stay on the bottom as long as there is no intentional circulation. Drain the water off the top will remove the warmer pool water without mixing. Because physics!

However, water with dissolved solids is denser than pure water. Pool water will have more dissolved solids than tap water. The pool water will be more dense. Because physics!

You can make either argument but from what I've read here and other experiences, the temperature is a MUCH greater factor for short term gradients.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

4. Back To Top    #4
    Silver Spring, MD

If you do the drain/refill with the pump either off or pumping to waste, so the pool water does not get throughly mixed, this approach can be quite efficient. If the water does get throughly mixed it still works, but you are wasting some water compared to a straight drain/refill.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

From what I can see, there's no easy rule of thumb. Water at 80 degrees with 2000 ppm TDS has about the same density as water at 70 degrees with 0 ppm TDS. Those are conditions somewhat near the poster's water.

I used this calculator to generate a plot.

Get the TDS and temperate for both fill water and pool water and plug them into the above calculator and see which is heavier. It could go either way. If I had to bet, I'd bet your fill water is heavier, but it is worth taking the time to check.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    20,000 gal in-ground plaster pool with sand filter. Replastered recently. Mostly adding bleach and acid. CYA was high when I took over.

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for the responses. That's a great calculator SwimAustin.......looks like the density is negligible, so I will drain from the top and fill to the bottom.
    Thanks Again!
    10 x 26 IG gunite/plaster
    7300 Gallons
    Hayward Tristar single speed 1 HP
    Hayward CF C4025
    Pool DOB 1/10

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Well, if the your fill water had 0 tds, that might make sense but I think you will find using the temp differential alone will be effective.

If you can't decide, simply drain and refill in 1/3 to 1/2 increments.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School