Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Service Tech Algacide Use: Bio Dex Skill it vs All Clear Algaecide 60

1. Back To Top    #1

In the Industry

Service Tech Algacide Use: Bio Dex Skill it vs All Clear Algaecide 60

The BioDex is popular here in the Phoenix area, I've used copper regularly, then the Skill It, since the 60 is recommended here on the board if needed, I was wondering if I should make the change to the 60. The prices are similar between the two. My main issue with the skill it is having to clean up the "scum rings" it leaves behind.

If I can find some legible product sheets or labels on the AC 60 I will post it, but it probably is comparable to the better 60's:

Bio Dex Skill It: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...L._SL1500_.jpg

Thanks for any info!
    2013 20x40 Vinyl Ingound Pool. 30K Gallons. Hayward Aqua Rite Chlorine Generator. Hayward C-3030 Cartridge Filter. 1.5 HP Pentair Pump. Pentair Magic Stream II Deck Jets. Pool Automation=Allen-Bradley PLC 5/04. TF-100 Test Kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Service Tech Algacide Use: Bio Dex Skill it vs All Clear Algaecide 60

Why do you need to use any of that? If you maintain adequate FC (which is a function of your CYA level), then there is no need for any of those expensive products since algae will not be able to grow.

- - - Updated - - -

Just saw that you are ITI, so likely have different needs than the members to which this forum is aimed and my above comment was for.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Why do you need to use any of that? If you maintain adequate FC (which is a function of your CYA level), then there is no need for any of those expensive products since algae will not be able to grow.

- - - Updated - - -

Just saw that you are ITI, so likely have different needs than the members to which this forum is aimed and my above comment was for.
    That's right, so with twice a week service, I still have to use trichlor and want some preventative algaecide in there with the March-July tree droppings, flowers, and the neglected yards.
    2013 20x40 Vinyl Ingound Pool. 30K Gallons. Hayward Aqua Rite Chlorine Generator. Hayward C-3030 Cartridge Filter. 1.5 HP Pentair Pump. Pentair Magic Stream II Deck Jets. Pool Automation=Allen-Bradley PLC 5/04. TF-100 Test Kit.

4. Back To Top    #4

We have found that polyquat based algaecides (Poly[oxyethylene(dimethyliminio)ethylene(dimethyliminio)ethylene dichloride], essentially all of the '60' algaecides) are the most effective with the fewest side effects.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion View Post
    We have found that polyquat based algaecides (Poly[oxyethylene(dimethyliminio)ethylene(dimethyliminio)ethylene dichloride], essentially all of the '60' algaecides) are the most effective with the fewest side effects.
    Excellent, and they don't neutralize the FC or add to the CC? The Copper Sulfate did and the Skill It (the ammonia) seems to deplete the FC as well. One property liked the Skill-It for the bee control, but I'm getting a lot of them in the skimmer and I really rather not contribute to the decline of their population.