Conversion to sport pool

Iroquois

LifeTime Supporter
May 27, 2014
Marietta, GA
Hi all,

This is my first post as I am a new follower to the site. I am looking into the pros and cons of converting my 16x36 vinyl pool into a pool for lap swimming and other water sports. It was built in the early 70's and I had it refinished from top to bottom 10 years ago but has since developed a leak and the liner has pulled away from the coping in the corners. I have been told that a 10 year old liner cannot be reset, which is fine because we have been wanting to fill in the deep end and make it all one level. What makes this idea seem more reasonable is that it does not have a main drain and none of the plumbing would have to be changed.

With that said, here are my other questions/concerns. The steel walls are 42 inches but we would like 48 inches of water in the pool which would require the shallow end to be dug down another 13-14 inches. besides the additional labor cost to do that, do the sides of the new bottom below the wall have to be angled like the current deep end to prevent any kind of damage or wear on the new liner? Are there any kind of products that can be used an extension to the bottom of the wall?

What type of material do we use to fill in the deep end? I saw a thread on this subject in a 2007 posting on this forum but a lot can change in 7 years someone mentioned using crush and run which we use here in the south for a variety of things. I have dirt that needs to be moved from an area next to the pool for another landscaping job I want to do, can I just toss it in the deep end and use a machine tamp to get it close to the level I want and then finish it off with Vermiculite or Portland Cement?

I look forward to any and all constructive comments or suggestions.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

16x36 IG, Vinyl w/26K gallons, Hayward Sand Filter

Welcome to TFP!

To make the shallow end deeper you pretty much either need to slope the walls, as they slope in the deep end, or build a new pool from scratch.

Filling in the deep end is not too difficult. You will want to use something that compacts really well, like 3/4 minus also called crusher run. It will need to be added in layers with each layer compacted with a plate compactor. Once built up to the correct level you will want to finish it to match up with whatever bottom treatment you have on the rest of the pool (poolcrete, sand, etc).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.