Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chlorine dropped to zero

1. Back To Top    #1

Chlorine dropped to zero

Hi I opened my pool Tuesday. My cya was 30 ph 7.2 pool calculator had me add 355oz of bleach. Today mt cya is less than 20 and my chlorine is zero. What happened? At the end of last summer my cya was 180. Help please. Do I need stabilizer?
    36,000 gal IG vinyl. Haywood pump and heater Hayward DE filter blue diamond robot. Hayward Aqua Rite SWG AQR-15

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Chlorine dropped to zero

When your pool is on a bleach diet, you need to check the FC on a daily basis and make the appropriate additions. You can't go several days without adding more chlorine, and there isn't a way around it unless you have an automatic feeder such as a Stenner or Liquidator, or go to saltwater chlorine generator.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

That's actually pretty reasonable consumption for a pool the size of yours.

You do need to feed it everyday.

Raising the CYA level to 40 should slow down the loss, but it will still need a daily feeding, just not as much each time.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

What test kit are you using? With a drop for CYA from 180 to 30/20 over the winter, that is a sign of potential ammonia problems.

You need to be raising the FC up to 10ppm and then after 30 minutes test for FC and CC ... this requires the FAS-DPD chlorine test found in the Recommended Test Kits.

Chlorine is a consumable and needs to be tested for and added every day.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

I use the TF 100. Should I just add the recommended bleach and add stabilizer as well?
    36,000 gal IG vinyl. Haywood pump and heater Hayward DE filter blue diamond robot. Hayward Aqua Rite SWG AQR-15

6. Back To Top    #6

Add 10ppm of FC and test FC and CC in 30 minutes and report back.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Ok FC =2. Tc = 7

8. Back To Top    #8

I assume that is FC and CC? The FAS-DPD does not test for TC ... unless you added the FC and CC together.

Anyway, that is a lot of CC and this is a sign of possible ammonia in the water. As such, the FC is going to be consumed very quickly. Continue to dose up to 10ppm and retesting every 30-60 minutes. Once the CC drop and the FC starts to hold, then you can consider adding some more CYA and continuing the SLAM Process.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

Ok so today the FC is 1 and cya is below 20. The pool is just eating up chlorine. Time for stabilizer?

10. Back To Top    #10

Chlorine dropped to zero

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    I assume that is FC and CC? The FAS-DPD does not test for TC ... unless you added the FC and CC together.

Anyway, that is a lot of CC and this is a sign of possible ammonia in the water. As such, the FC is going to be consumed very quickly. Continue to dose up to 10ppm and retesting every 30-60 minutes. Once the CC drop and the FC starts to hold, then you can consider adding some more CYA and continuing the SLAM Process.
    Follow this advice. If you have ammonia it will eat chlorine like it's no body's business. 😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

11. Back To Top    #11

So, after 1,089 ounces of chlorox dumped in pool since Wednesday , my readings are still zero chlorine. Do I keep adding till I get a reading ? Help!

12. Back To Top    #12

Quick answer is yes. Sounds like last year's CYA got converted to ammonia and it takes a fair amount of chlorine to get rid of the ammonia. Good news is that last year's CYA level was way too high so this might be saving you a drain/refill. Adding CYA too soon (or using stabilized chlorine - trichlor or dichlor) can be a problem because the bacteria suspected to convert CYA to ammonia might still be there and could turn your nice fresh CYA into more ammonia, so best to just keep adding bleach until the ammonia is gone, FC levels come up, and bacteria/algae in the water start dying.

If you wanted some visible progress rather than feeling like you're pouring bleach into a bottomless hole you could hit a pet store and pick up an ammonia test kit then watch the ammonia levels come down (assuming that is the problem). I think the record here is 8ppm.
    Cedar hot tub, 680 US gallons - Snorkel wood-burning heater, canoe paddle, "offline" Intex 1000 GPH pump/filter with skimmer

13. Back To Top    #13

Thanks. I ran out of Clorox and could not get to Costco so I ( gasp ) went to a pool store and got some liquid shock. It's 12.5 % I think it's hypochlorite I haven't used it yet cause I used 300 ounces of Clorox this am. Is it a problem if I use the liquid shock ?
    Thanks

14. Back To Top    #14

It if the same stuff and may be a better deal depending on price. Add it if you need it, when you need it.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

15. Back To Top    #15

Still no trace of chlorine

So after 10 days of pouring bleach into my pool, I still show no signs of chlorine. I've done everything that the forum suggested , to no avail. This is getting ridiculous. I never had this problem before. If it's ammonia, what else can I do? My cya was 24 and is Round that now. I am going to have a SWG installed next week. I can't keep lugging chlorine back from Costco. Don't know if that will solve the problem, but at least I'll have a constant supply of chlorine. Any thoughts out there?

16. Back To Top    #16

If you reported all the FC and CC measurements and dosing calculations, we would have had more insight. Did you get the water tested for ammonia? There is no magic cure. Chlorine always works.

The SWG is not going to help.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

17. Back To Top    #17

I did the drop test. It shows no chlorine. ( water never turned pink)

18. Back To Top    #18

Chlorine dropped to zero

This is going to be a labor of love. Do you have this weekend to commit to the pool and the forum?

If so go get a BUNCH of bleach or liquid chlorine. Post your full starting test numbers and what you plan to dose with.
    Rinse and repeat hourly.
    Let us guide you.

An swg can't generate the volume of chlorine required to overcome ammonia, it will be consumed before it makes it out of the pipes and into the pool.
    TFP Moderator Chris V. ~16K Pool & Spa, 48NSF DE, IG Plaster Circa 2000, Intermatic PE653, Challenger pump with a 2 speed B2984, 20gal stenner chlorine injection, Houston, TX
    One cannot follow Islam and Christianity at the same time, nor can one follow pool store methods and TFP at the same time.
    Pool School -- Pool Math -- TF-Test Kit

19. Back To Top    #19

Ok will do. Off to buy more bleach. Thank you. I'm having people over tomorrow. Is is safe to swim. The pool is crystal clear and no algae

20. Back To Top    #20

Tough question to answer without a full set of test results.
    TFP Moderator Chris V. ~16K Pool & Spa, 48NSF DE, IG Plaster Circa 2000, Intermatic PE653, Challenger pump with a 2 speed B2984, 20gal stenner chlorine injection, Houston, TX
    One cannot follow Islam and Christianity at the same time, nor can one follow pool store methods and TFP at the same time.
    Pool School -- Pool Math -- TF-Test Kit

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast