Second Season with TFP! Just opened pool - Need some guidance for new season :-)

If you have any of the hated pantyhose, you can use them instead of a sock. Or a knee-high, whatever. Just not the fishnets. ;)

If you're going by volume, yes, use a measuring cup. No different than measuring rice or flour.

If the volume of granules looks too great for the skimmer to where it might restrict the flow, hang it in front of a return. Or use two socks.

You realize you have ample time to dose the pool to 10 two or three times before bed, right? And CYA dissolved or not won't make a bit of difference after dark, because there's no UV rays from the sun. Every drop of bleach you add in the dark goes to killing algae. Something to consider...

You realize you have ample time to dose the pool to 10 two or three times before bed, right? ...

What do you mean here? I basically just added it all now to get to 10 at one shot (using the pool math calculator). I had about .5 chlorine in there. It is eating my chlorine terribly. I took your post to mean to go ahead and add the required amount of bleach to reach 10 and then add CYA in the meantime while bleach is at work getting to 10. Do I have to wait til levels read 10 before adding the CYA?

How do you guys hang it in front of a return without it blocking the return?

What do you mean here? I basically just added it all now to get to 10 at one shot (using the pool math calculator). I had about .5 chlorine in there. It is eating my chlorine terribly.

How do you guys hang it in front of a return without it blocking the return?

The SLAM is a repetitive process. Take it 10 (in your particular case) over and over and over "but not more than once per hour, and not less than twice a day" It's almost 7:00 in joizey, right? Hit it now, hit it again during a commercial break, hit it again just before bed.

Here's one way to suspend a sock.
attachment.php

Oh I am so confused. I haven't even added the CYA yet. Someone else told me to add the CYA first and then SLAM. So, during the SLAM process, I am to add CYA? I just don't want to overdo it or ruin my liner. I just added bleach to reach 10, so you are saying start SLAMMING now, while adding CYA at the same time in the skimmer basket, without any wait time in between?

Oh I am so confused. I haven't even added the CYA yet. Someone else told me to add the CYA first and then SLAM. So, during the SLAM process, I am to add CYA? I just don't want to overdo it or ruin my liner. I just added bleach to reach 10, so you are saying start SLAMMING now, while adding CYA at the same time in the skimmer basket, without any wait time in between?
Yes. Right now you have no CYA in the water, so you use 10 as the FC level. The CYA takes a while to dissolve, and you don't want to wait all weekend for that. You want that pool clear! So put the CYA in to dissolve and forget about it. Keep the SLAM at 10, as often as you can, but no sooner than every hour. You'll almost certainly make big progress overnight. Tomorrow afternoon some time, check the sock. If it looks like it's shrinking, you have CYA in the water and you start targeting 12 FC.

If you just filled your pool with fresh water, would you wait three days to add bleach and go swimming just to let the CYA dissolve? NO! You'd get some bleach in there ASAP and let the CYA dissolve in its own time.

Yes. Right now you have no CYA in the water, so you use 10 as the FC level. The CYA takes a while to dissolve, and you don't want to wait all weekend for that. You want that pool clear! So put the CYA in to dissolve and forget about it. Keep the SLAM at 10, as often as you can, but no sooner than every hour. You'll almost certainly make big progress overnight. Tomorrow afternoon some time, check the sock. If it looks like it's shrinking, you have CYA in the water and you start targeting 12 FC.

If you just filled your pool with fresh water, would you wait three days to add bleach and go swimming just to let the CYA dissolve? NO! You'd get some bleach in there ASAP and let the CYA dissolve in its own time.

I'm on it :)

Thank you!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.