Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Target levels on pool math? Phosphates?

1. Back To Top    #1

Target levels on pool math? Phosphates?

Two quick questions:

1. What are the target levels on pool math supposed to be? For some reason I typed over mine by accident and I can't get it to go back to the defaults.

2. I am expecting my TF-100 test kit any day now, but in the mean time I had my water just tested at Leslie's Pools. They told me that my calcium hardness was low (60) and that I run the risk of my vinyl liner separating from my pool unless I raise it. They also told me that my phosphates were high (100). I don't even see the phosphate test on here. Is this something I need to address or be concerned about?

Leslie's pool test today:
    FC=1.5
    TAC=1.5
    PH=7.7
    TA=120
    CYA=40
    CH=60
    TDS=200
    Phosphates=100

Thanks for the replies. New to the world of pool ownership and this site is a great help!
    15'x26' above ground pool installed on 5/10/14, 1 hp -Hayward pro series sand filter (Model # S166T92STL), Hayward Vari-Flow valve (Model # SP0714T1), Hayward Power-Flo Matrix pump (Model # SP1592TLFP). TF100 test kit. Diver Dave automatic vacuum.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Target levels on pool math? Phosphates?

Ignore the phosphates. If your other chemistry is correct, phosphates won't mean a thing. Leslie's uses phosphates as a way to sell you junk like Phosfree.

Also, CH doesn't matter at all in a vinyl pool. 60 ppm is just fine.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

The first question is easy. Look down at the bottom yellow row in poolmath. Select your finish, your chlorine source, and tfp from the options. Now go up and enter your pool size. Now it's ready to go!

A vinyl pool doesn't care if the CH is low. There's no plaster to get etched. The only thing Low CH is hurting here is the pool store's profit margin. Ditto on the phosphates.

And your Chlorine is too low for your CYA level. That does need attention.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

As always, you guys are the best. Just saved me spending a bunch of money at the pool store. Thanks!
    15'x26' above ground pool installed on 5/10/14, 1 hp -Hayward pro series sand filter (Model # S166T92STL), Hayward Vari-Flow valve (Model # SP0714T1), Hayward Power-Flo Matrix pump (Model # SP1592TLFP). TF100 test kit. Diver Dave automatic vacuum.