New to pool maintenance...

Gilrock

LifeTime Supporter
May 30, 2014
Oro Valley, AZ
I'm new to trying to manage my pool after having had a pool guy manage it for 2.5 years but he's selling his business and I wanted to try to do this myself. Everything was fine till the temps started getting above 100 here in AZ. I originally only had test strips and was having trouble reading some of the values accurately. I'll try to outline what's happened lately:

about 2 weeks ago:
Pool had been looking ok but not completely clear
Put 3 tabs in floater
Backwashed filter

about 7 days ago:
Temperature starting rising rapidly outside
Pool started looking very cloudy with greenish/yellow tint
Took sample to Leslie's and they said all reading in normal range except CYA was like 100
Added 2lbs Doheny shock (thought I needed to do this every 2 weeks)
Ran filter overnight and pool looked a little better in the morning

3 days ago:
Temperature was over 100 and the pool turned much greener and could barely see past 3 feet down
I decided to order LaMotte's ColorQ test kit and purchased PerfectPoolandSpa software
I didn't have test kit yet but selecting pool is green in program told me to add like 10lbs shock
I thought that seemed too high so I googled for help and decided on about 4lbs of shock to do a double dose

2 days ago:
Water didn't seem to clear up much at all from the shock
ColorQ test kit arrives
TC 9.6 (figured this was due to shock 24 hours earlier)
CC 9.6
pH 7.5
ALK 65
CYA 90 (not sure I did this test correctly first time....didn't know I needed to crush it at first and was searching for crusher and may not have done time right)
Pool software says CYA too high and I must drain some water and refill to dilute before it will recommend other adjustments
We called pool store, old pool guy, and guy who installed filter and none of them suggested we drain any water especially since it was hot time of year.
So I overrode CYA limit in software to see what it would recommend.
It said add chemicals to raise ALK up to 100.
Went to Leslie's and described situation. They recommended product called First Aid and I bought some Alk Up.

Next morning:
Added recommended amount of First Aid and enough Alk Up for 20ppm increase since I read not to try to do it all at once.

Yesterday evening:
Came home and water looked slighting clearer but still really cloudy...couldn't quite see floor at 4 feet depth.
Repeated ColorQ tests:
FC 1.6
CC 9.6
pH 7.5
ALK 70
CYA 100

So now the software is telling me to add almost 12lbs of shock to cause the chlorine to get to a level to break down the total chlorine number and bring it to zero. I was hesistant to do that without seeking advice and is why I'm here. I don't know if I need to go ahead and drain some water to get the CYA level down first and how much to drain if I do. I'd like to also know if there is a good method to keep it from getting back to those levels again. Any help? I'm about to give up and hire someone again.

Re: New to pool maintenance...about to give up

Welcome to TFP!

The ColorQ measures FC and TC, not TC and CC. I suspect your FC level was 9.6 and TC was also 9.6, meaning that two days ago CC was zero, and now CC is 8.0?
CC = TC - FC
Or maybe you have it mixed up some other way? In any case it is important to get that straightened out first, because it has a large impact on the correct treatment.

Another significant issue is your CYA level. 90 to 100 is too high for CYA. Unfortunately, the only practical way to lower CYA is to replace water. I recommend replacing enough water to get CYA down to around 60.

CYA is going up constantly because you are using trichlor tablets. You should think about stopping the use of trichlor, as it is only going to create this same problem again.

I will also mention that when CYA gets to 100, that's the limit. It is possible (and likely) that your CYA is far over 100. Try diluting the pool water 50/50 then test CYA again, and double the result.

And dichlor too. Stop going to Leslie's. Get a better test kit. Either the tf-100 or Taylor k-2006. You can get either at tftestkits.net Leslie's is notoriously off on testing, especially cya. Follow the advice here and save a whole lot of pool stored money! Until you get a good test kit, and get accurate results, you will be stuck with your pool store and green swamp pool. Trust me, I used to be pool stored. And suffered algae bloom after algae bloom for the first year after buying my house. You HAVE to drain water to get rid of the excess cya! Exactly how much, you won't know until you have accurate cya test!

So I just spent $150 2 days ago on what I thought was a good test kit and you're saying it's not? I don't like judging colors with my eyes so I wanted something that does it automatically.

LaMotte 2056 ColorQ Pro 7 Digital Pool Water Test Kit <- This is the kit I have

The biggest issue is that the LaMotte won't test FC over 10, and to SLAM the pool you will have to measure higher than that. You could get the separate FAS/DPD test from tftestkits.net for managing chlorine during the SLAM. It is color based, but it is either pink/red or clear. There's no guessing to the FAS/DPD chlorine test.

I have to admit to knowing nothing about your color q test kit, but I DO know I get accurate results from my Taylor k-2006, and I DO know I have had crystal clear water for over a year since I started using bleach as my sanitizer. And got off the tabs and powdered shock and pH up and phosfree as nd algeacide. And you name it!!!

I'm new to trying to manage my pool after having had a pool guy manage it for 2.5 years but he's selling his business and I wanted to try to do this myself. Everything was fine till the temps started getting above 100 here in AZ. I originally only had test strips and was having trouble reading some of the values accurately. I'll try to outline what's happened lately:

about 2 weeks ago:
Pool had been looking ok but not completely clear
Put 3 tabs in floater
Backwashed filter

about 7 days ago:
Temperature starting rising rapidly outside
Pool started looking very cloudy with greenish/yellow tint
Took sample to Leslie's and they said all reading in normal range except CYA was like 100
Added 2lbs Doheny shock (thought I needed to do this every 2 weeks)
Ran filter overnight and pool looked a little better in the morning

3 days ago:
Temperature was over 100 and the pool turned much greener and could barely see past 3 feet down
I decided to order LaMotte's ColorQ test kit and purchased PerfectPoolandSpa software
I didn't have test kit yet but selecting pool is green in program told me to add like 10lbs shock
I thought that seemed too high so I googled for help and decided on about 4lbs of shock to do a double dose

2 days ago:
Water didn't seem to clear up much at all from the shock
ColorQ test kit arrives
TC 9.6 (figured this was due to shock 24 hours earlier)
CC 9.6
pH 7.5
ALK 65
CYA 90 (not sure I did this test correctly first time....didn't know I needed to crush it at first and was searching for crusher and may not have done time right)
Pool software says CYA too high and I must drain some water and refill to dilute before it will recommend other adjustments
We called pool store, old pool guy, and guy who installed filter and none of them suggested we drain any water especially since it was hot time of year.
So I overrode CYA limit in software to see what it would recommend.
It said add chemicals to raise ALK up to 100.
Went to Leslie's and described situation. They recommended product called First Aid and I bought some Alk Up.

Next morning:
Added recommended amount of First Aid and enough Alk Up for 20ppm increase since I read not to try to do it all at once.

Yesterday evening:
Came home and water looked slighting clearer but still really cloudy...couldn't quite see floor at 4 feet depth.
Repeated ColorQ tests:
FC 1.6
CC 9.6
pH 7.5
ALK 70
CYA 100

So now the software is telling me to add almost 12lbs of shock to cause the chlorine to get to a level to break down the total chlorine number and bring it to zero. I was hesistant to do that without seeking advice and is why I'm here. I don't know if I need to go ahead and drain some water to get the CYA level down first and how much to drain if I do. I'd like to also know if there is a good method to keep it from getting back to those levels again. Any help? I'm about to give up and hire someone again.

Wow. I feel for you. This is how I felt a couple years ago trying to make a SWCG work and getting conflicting advice from 2-3 different pool stores. Luckily I found this website and started taking their advice and taking control of my own pool. Listen carefully to what others suggest and you'll get there -- eventually ;-)

Thanks for the responses. I'm impressed with how quickly and how many responses there were here. I think I do want to drain water out and get the CYA under control first. That's what I was leaning towards but had so many people talking me out of it. I also ordered that Taylor K-2006 so I'll use that when it gets here and compare it with the digital test kit.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

You absolutely want to get CYA in range. That's your biggest problem at the moment, by far.

I would like to see the test result with a 50/50 dilution of tap and pool water to get a better idea of where your CYA is at.

Thanks for the responses. I'm impressed with how quickly and how many responses there were here. I think I do want to drain water out and get the CYA under control first. That's what I was leaning towards but had so many people talking me out of it. I also ordered that Taylor K-2006 so I'll use that when it gets here and compare it with the digital test kit.

After being burned by pool store/guy advice and them siphoning your wallet, it's hard to hear that the first thing you should do is spend more money on a good test kit. But, that's the only time on this forum that you'll hear from anyone telling you to buy something (other than cheap products from wherever you choose to get them, that you actually need). And no one here will tell you to buy something you don't need. TFP is the best advice for pools you can't buy... it's free.

Welcome to TFP! You've come to the right place to get on track and take control of your pool!

Take a look at the ABCs of water chemistry. It's a good start to understanding what's going on with your water. --> http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/123-abc-of-pool-water-chemistry

You're definitely on to something with fixing that CYA level. The relationship between Chlorine and CYA is very important to understand. Adding shock powders and tablets is a sure way to get your CYA sky high. The problem with that is the more CYA you have the more Chlorine you need! Unfortunately the only way to get rid of it is to replace some water. Always be careful with draining....most people do a few drain/refill cycles if they need to get the CYA in range.

Like robbie said, the CYA test can be done with a 50/50 dilution of pool water and tap water to help you to test numbers higher than 90-100. That's as far as the tests go and it's often higher. This method of testing is explained in the Extended Test Kit Directions (scroll down to #8 it explains what to do if CYA is 90 or higher) -->http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/24188-Extended-Test-Kit-Directions

I am not sure how the test kit you have works for CYA so I'm not 100% sure this applies? It does apply to the K-2006 and the TF-100 kits.

Once you have a result you can use pool math to find out how much water you are looking at replacing to get to your target. --> http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/114-poolmath-pool-calculator (this explains how to use!)

If you have any questions at all you can post them right here in your thread and someone or a whole bunch of someones will do our best to answer and explain and help! We like helping people. Almost everyone here has been where you are and we love to help people to get to know (and love) their pools.

It can be overwhelming at first but there's just a few basic principles and when they click that light will go on and you'll say.. "I had no idea it was so simple!!"

Welcome again and definitely...don't give up! :)

I find it truly amazing that nearly every time I am in the pool store, someone is getting their water tested.

I hear the salesperson (hint: Sales) telling the customer "Your CYA is fine, its about 100 and your pool is green. You need to shock the pool. This powder will add the chlorine you need to shock you pool. Add four bags and come back tomorrow" (for four more...)

Each time you add chlorine, as a powder, you are likely add as much stabilizer as chlorine. The chlorine will be gone in a day or two but the CYA will be there until you get off the LPS merry-go-round, remove the CYA (drain/fill) and only use non-stabilized (aka liquid) chlorine. Yes, you can use cal-hypo but it costs more and has other side effects.

The cost of getting off the LPS ride? a test kit and knowledge. The ~$70 test kit may actually cost less the one trip to the LPS for their magic powders and liquids that only ensure that you will be back tomorrow..for more. The test kit will last at minimum a season and may last longer than that.

Hello and welcome!
Don't give up! Maintaining your own pool is a lot easier than you think. Spend some time reading in Pool School and things will slowly start to make sense.

As far as what you might want to do first is find out just how high is your CYA. If you need to drain some water (and you probably do) you need to know what your CYA level is to know how much water you need to replace. As mentioned above CYA testing is measurable only up to about 100. If it is above 100 you need to dilute it with water that does not have any CYA in it (tap water).

Ok I've rented a submersible pump. It looks like it's rated to drain half the pool in 2 to 3 hours. I've been cautioned about the plaster cracking. It's 100 here today. I was thinking I could wait till the sun is really low then pump it down halfway and start refilling and hopefully have it back up before it gets hot tomorrow. Is that a bad idea?

:wave: Welcome to TFP, very close neighbor!!!

If you are going to use a sump, I think that is about the best you can do. I would start draining as soon as the sun is off the pool and then fill with multiple hoses to fill it quickly and hopefully avoid plaster damage.

Did you ever confirm your CYA level to know how much water you need to replace?

Another option, slower although safer, would be to drain and refill at the same time. Likely wanting to fill at the bottom and drain from near the top. But, you would not want to use that big of a sump pump.

Well the K-2006 test kit will take a few days to get here. Using the ColorQ test I just got FC 6.89 TC 7.51 CYA 108. I didn't bother with the other readings since I'm about to drain water. The CYA test for this kit uses some type of tablets dissolved in the water for the test.

Got ya.

So after this experience ... are you planning to change your signature from "Using stabilized chlorine tabs in floater"? ;)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.