Roofing Felt on floor and walls?

pedsrn

May 29, 2007
Alabama
In the process of replacing the liner. The walls had a couple rough spots that had to be sanded and repainted. They are not thin, but do have SOME pitting. Last time, we used foam on the walls, but I've found two things: 1. Foam makes the liner more prone to puncture (soft padding) as opposed to no padding and 2. In case of leak, foam traps water against the wall thereby encouraging corrosion. So, no padding for me this go round. Here in bama, the water temp isn't a problem anyway. I'm going to pop-rivet patch two spots (around the return to reinforce since there's a good bit of rust there and in an old spot where I shot a piece of metal thru side with lawn mower).

Question:

Anyone ever used roofing felt for floor and/or walls? I've got some laying around and the more I think about it, the better this idea sounds to me. It will provide a flat, yet not-soft barrier to the walls and on the floor it will provide some protection from all the blooming rust that may be in the sand where we've had to sand walls and rails.

Thanks in advance for advice!
Tracy

I have not heard of felting the fittings but I know my pool manufacturer recommended covering the bolt heads of the wall joint with a couple layers of duct tape.

So, I think a couple layers of duct tape may be a good idea to protect the liner from rivet heads or other rough spots. I also agree that no wall liner, cover or padding is needed. If you have a larger area needing protection, you could use a cut up section of your old liner to protect the area.

Thanks, techguy!

I think I've decided to just go with bare walls and duct tape and maybe a patch of the old wall foam over rivets where I patched around return.

So no one takes my stupid idea of roofing felt and runs with it...I read just now, somewhere else, that the felt is petroleum based and therefore will react with the vinyl and cause staining and thinning of the liner. Makes perfect sense now that I think about it!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.