Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Keep Chlorine Level Higher?

1. Back To Top    #1

Keep Chlorine Level Higher?

At a CYA level of 40 - is a target of 7 for chlorine too high? Would that do any damage to my vinyl liner or bother swimmers at all? Is there any down side to that target??

I use a pool app on my phone that asks for targets. I wanted to use 7 - just making sure that's ok.

I know the chart here says I should target 5 ppm but I always think a little more chlorine is better than too liitle less just in case I miss a day of adding it.

My Ph is 7.5 so Im ok there.
    16 x 32 In-Ground vinyl, 21,000 Gallons, Hayward Cartridge Filter, Hayward Tiger Shark robotic cleaner, Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Houston, TX

Re: Keep Chlorine Level Higher?

Using the pool math link above your target is 3-7 and SLAM level is 16. Totally safe until you get north of 16.
    TFP Moderator Chris V. ~16K Pool & Spa, 48NSF DE, IG Plaster Circa 2000, Intermatic PE653, Challenger pump with a 2 speed B2984, 20gal stenner chlorine injection, Houston, TX
    One cannot follow Islam and Christianity at the same time, nor can one follow pool store methods and TFP at the same time.
    Pool School -- Pool Math -- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3
    SW Louisiana

That is a little higher than I would target, but should be ok
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

4. Back To Top    #4
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

With 40 CYA, minimum FC should never dip below 3.

If you dose to 5 and recheck it 24 hours later and it's below 3, then you should target 6. And if it gets close to 3, then target 7. You'll learn your pool's appetite in a few days. Do keep in mind that hotter temperatures and more people swimming will cause higher FC loss, so always pad the target to build in a safety margin.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!