Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Draining for the new Liner

1. Back To Top    #1

Draining for the new Liner

20 x 40 IN ground need to drain it for the new liner, is it ok to use the main drain and the pool pump to drain it?

I was planning to set the spider valve to waste and just drain it in the back yard we have a pond that can handle the water.

Bummed also, as I added borates last year now need new liner...
    20x40 Vinyl IG, 27k gal, 1 hp hayward, s244s hayward SF, Hayward SWG 1 floor drain, 2 Skimmers, 4 Returns, Fiberstars FO lights, Polaris booster, and 380 polaris cleaner.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Draining for the new Liner

If you can isolate the main drain from the skimmer, absolutely. If you can't, as soon as the skimmer goes dry, you start sucking air and everything will stop.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    If you can isolate the main drain from the skimmer, absolutely. If you can't, as soon as the skimmer goes dry, you start sucking air and everything will stop.
    Yes I can turn off the skimmers, and leave just the main drain open. My profile picture shows the valves.

Would setting the spider valve to waste be the way to go?
    20x40 Vinyl IG, 27k gal, 1 hp hayward, s244s hayward SF, Hayward SWG 1 floor drain, 2 Skimmers, 4 Returns, Fiberstars FO lights, Polaris booster, and 380 polaris cleaner.

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes. Then you're just pumping water straight from the pool out the waste pipe. The filter is taken out of the loop completely.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Very good thanks for the info. I'll be pulling that old liner out this weekend, then the real project starts.