set multiport to rinse and got piles of sand in pool.

jim4

May 30, 2014
West Chester,PA
I backwashed my pool today and they set it on rinse. I saw the sight glass fill with sand and then looked in my pool and saw a pile of sand, ~50 lbs of sand, under each return line. i moved it to waste so i could vacuum the sand and now my mltiport in stuck on waste. I think I usually use waste after backwash, but rinse should not cause sand to be dumped into pool should it? I have not done anything with my sand filter before having this problem. Is this possibly a problem with my spider gasket? My multiport looks really old. I just recently bought this house last year so I dont know much about the pool. I know the pool was built in 1976. Anyone have any ideas what could cause the sand to go into pool. I have an ingound pool, 27,500 gallons. The pump is pentair. I think the multiport is a hayward. The sand filter does not say anything on it, it a big stainless steel tank.

Welcome to TFP!

Something is very broken. On rinse none of the water should go to the pool, it should go out the waste port. So there is no way the sand could have gotten to the pool. Further, none of the sand should come out of the filter at all in the first place. Those two problems aren't normally associated with each other. It seems like you must have more than one thing broken at the same time. Something is going wrong with the multi-port if anything is going to the pool in rinse mode, and something is wrong with the filter if any sand at all is coming out.

A filter with a steel tank must be quite old. They haven't made any of those in some time.

At a minimum, it sounds like it is time to get a "Go Kit" for the multi-portvalve (a kit with replacements for all of the seals) and while you are installing that you can look around inside the multi-port and see if there is anything more serious than a worn out seal going on.

I also recommend opening up the filter and having a look around. To get a lot of sand out quickly something fairly serious needs to be wrong and that might be obvious once you have it open. Unfortunately, many of the parts are buried under the sand, so you can't do a full inspection without a fair bit of work, but hopefully the problem will be obvious.

And it's also recommended you always turn it the same direction. Always go clockwise or counter clockwise, pick one and stick with it. The gasket has less chance of tearing or being pulled out of it's channel.

Here are some youtube shots of how to take that valve apart to inspect it : https://www.google.com/#q=replacing+the+spider+gasket

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.