New pool build in North Texas! A long and skinny pool....

Outstanding ... Great move on the coping. I would think that the coping manufacturer has a matching paver product. If so, that would probably be a good option. I would think fire ... In the pool. .. with that glass, is a "can't miss" feature. I vote, stick with the plan. What other material are you putting on that deck?

Well, it will unbalance the current symmetrical look of everything that you have right now. However, I still love the idea. From your design, it appears it will only take up the width of one of those stepping stones, or about a 1/3 of the dry deck. Unless it's incredibly tall, I don't think it will look too much out of place.

I'm willing to bet people won't be saying, "Oh wow, that fireplace really throws off the entire look of the pool from over here." Instead they will say, "WOW! They have a fireplace IN the POOL!"

This design is incredible, and that new coping is perfect. This is going to be a draw dropping pool.

Beadedbiker had a good point about the travertine and mixing of grays and beiges. I didn't think about that when recommending travertine, but I still definitely think pavers instead of stamped concrete.

First off I have to get over squeeing like a fangirl at your pool design and materials choices. Gosh its so darn sexy its ridiculous. We have the same glass tile, its an awesome color, and its just perfect in your pool.

From the look of your design your fireplace is dead opposite a bay window? Is that right. Because if so that is going to make an awesome focal point to see from inside. You have to remember you don't only enjoy your pool from the entry of said pool but also it becomes a feature to create mood and landscaping from the rest of your house, and also when its cold or dark or any reason you have to be stuck inside. If it bothers you being 'unbalanced' from the pool entry (and I don't think it will), but if it bothered me, I'd put in a couple of concrete modern looking planters with some nice spiky center plants as a 'thriller' plant with some contrasting 'spiller' plants around it (Better Homes and Gardens has some fantastic planter arrangement ideas for stuff like this - and its all free online) and place them in the corners of the dry deck opposite the fireplace - that way you don't obscure that fantastic view from your window, or the view down the pool of your spa.

Thank you Beaded Biker! I am a perfectionist myself and I appreciate and demand quality work. This project is probably the only one that I will ever do in this lifetime.... It is really taken a lot out of me during this whole build. The same time of wanting to have things done beautifully and also trying to stay within a certain budget is a fine balancing act. I certainly applause you for staying within your budget.
As for the fireplace on the dry deck, I think that I am going to change it into a rectangle low profile first able in the center so that it will be symmetrical and also give me more room to have seating for relaxation. I thought the dry deck was large until now looking at it and imaging a fireplace on it, there is really not much room to put any furniture on except two club chairs. I will post later of the one fire table that I am think of using. I think you will like it.

The fireplace idea sounds really cool. Its kind of difficult to picture what you guys had in mind from the plan drawing you posted since it was bird's eye view. But really considering the design choices you've made so far., its clear you guys are batting 1000, and there's no sign of that average being in danger Whatever you've picked is going to be fantastic.

By the way - do I recall you guys having an exit from the bedroom to your pool area? If I lived in your house I have a horrible feeling I'd forget what the rest of it looked like. I'd get up, look outside, wander out there 'to check on the pool' and suddenly its evening....I'd have to get Jammies I could swim in...LOL.

EDIT: OK, I just went back and re-looked at your plan. Realized the landscaping was all on there too. HOLY HECK!!!!! You better be posting us pictures all through the landscaping too. Your backyard is going to be off the charts when it is done. Like featured on Houzz-worthy.

The fireplace idea sounds really cool. Its kind of difficult to picture what you guys had in mind from the plan drawing you posted since it was bird's eye view. But really considering the design choices you've made so far., its clear you guys are batting 1000, and there's no sign of that average being in danger Whatever you've picked is going to be fantastic.

By the way - do I recall you guys having an exit from the bedroom to your pool area? If I lived in your house I have a horrible feeling I'd forget what the rest of it looked like. I'd get up, look outside, wander out there 'to check on the pool' and suddenly its evening....I'd have to get Jammies I could swim in...LOL.

EDIT: OK, I just went back and re-looked at your plan. Realized the landscaping was all on there too. HOLY HECK!!!!! You better be posting us pictures all through the landscaping too. Your backyard is going to be off the charts when it is done. Like featured on Houzz-worthy.

Hi BeadedBiker, it is interested how you said "Houzz" worthy....that was how I found the designer of the whole project Melda. She is such a talented designer and she is getting me into all kind of TROUBLES with the material selections. Yes, I will be putting more pictures as I start the landscape portion of the build because I really enjoy gardening very much. It will be a long process though....to completion with things happening in stages. Right now I just want the pool to be done so I can move on to my normal life....I need to work at least 10 more years to pay for this pool build for sure.

I feel your financial pain. That's for sure. We are way ahead of our curve attempting this. I used to be happy a utility pole fell on the old pool. Now the stress, the blood pressure, the indecision. It's less fun than it looked reading everyone's threads. I might have to pick your brain on the landscape thing. I too love to garden, and it's my dream to have a beautifully landscaped backyard. But I grew up in the UK and I have no idea what grows and doesn't. I don't even know if we can afford a landscape designer. All the landscapers we talked to didn't want to get involved until after the pool was done and I didn't want design help on the pool anyway. I'm not sure I'm open minded enough to hire a designer either lol. But your backyard is going to be awesome. It makes me seriously consider bringing in help. Actually my back yard has me considering bringing in a few missiles to finish the job of destruction properly...

Yeah. What I'm saying is hurry up so I can copy you. Lol.

Eva

So, got our 2nd big fight for this pool build.... For very silly stuff. All I want was to have one more chance to look at where I want to put the gas stub up on the in pool dry deck before they finish the deck... And the designer just lost it. She accuse me of changing

ff82d77b5da560085b6693f7645abe65.jpg

She said I change thing too often and it is costing her money when I do that and now she has to stop her crew for today to wait on what I decide to do. I was apauld by her response! Because the only things I ask them to redo are the stuff they messed up on, such as installing the wrong pump, wrong color tiles, and the horrible concrete copings. So, I of course was not happy and let her know about what I think of the whole building delay and I was not the one who caused all the delay..... I guess that all of us are tired and just want to be done with this pool build to be done. Anyhow, after she threw her fit, and I got a chance to look at the pool layout one last time, I decided to keep the stub out at the center of the deck, and the crew finished the dry deck as scheduled and without delay from my part, again.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I love the fire table, I think the profile and design fit right in with the rest of your build.

It also amazes me that the pool builders/designers etc. get into yelling matches with their clients/customers. What happened to "the customer is always right?" Of course, I realize it is the designer in your case (and our pool builder is the designer in our case) and they do have that artistic streak and partly feel their name is going on the design so anytime they are questioned, it hits their pride a little. At least yours mentioned that fact that redo's cost money. I have a hard time understanding how my pool builder just accepts that as a way of life. I think, "they could be even more profitable if they didn't have to pay double in materials and labor for every 'we'll just redo it'."

You are so close to the finish line on Phase 1. Hang in there :)

Oh no she did not! I would have to write out all of the redos/changes and put a note by them about who caused them and show them to her!

I would then have to hand it to her in such a way that she would feel it! LOL

I LOVE the fire bowl! SO pretty!

Kim

Ok that fire table is lovely, fits perfectly with your design. I think we all get to a point in the build where all we see are delays and its seems the finish is a long way off and we lose patience with the builders. Its always the decks part too. I'm right there with you. I keep telling myself we are nearly done. Not too much longer.

So, help me to decide what I should do. The builder will not come down on price for IntelliPH system and install. He wants $1750. I can get the system myself for $500 or $600 the most, and have his sub to come to install (plumbing and electric sub) for $250. I got his Electric and plumbing contractors (one company) contact info off their work truck and I called them myself to see how much they would charge me if they come out and install the system. So, I can save $close to $1000 if I do it myself. A part of me is leaning toward this way to save money, but then I am also concern the PB will not be happy about then if there is anything else wrong once the pool started that he will blame on that I did things myself, and to cause the problem. What you do guys think about this? Am I too chicken?

So, help me to decide what I should do. The builder will not come down on price for IntelliPH system and install. He wants $1750. I can get the system myself for $500 or $600 the most, and have his sub to come to install (plumbing and electric sub) for $250. I got his Electric and plumbing contractors (one company) contact info off their work truck and I called them myself to see how much they would charge me if they come out and install the system. So, I can save $close to $1000 if I do it myself. A part of me is leaning toward this way to save money, but then I am also concern the PB will not be happy about then if there is anything else wrong once the pool started that he will blame on that I did things myself, and to cause the problem. What you do guys think about this? Am I too chicken?

Install yourself - tell builder to pound sand if he has an issue with it. I think he is confused who works for who.

I would ask the PB why his markup is so high. I'd be honest and let them know that you went behind their back and called the plumber to check the install price. Let them know you'll be leaving a detailed yelp review.

I'd be furious if I were you. I'm doing an Owner Build and found a local plumber near me who does work for many of the larger companies around. He gave me an equipment install price of 250 which covers hooking up filter, heater, SWG and valves. I had him give me the equipment price seperate because I'm having a concrete pad poured for my equipment when the deck is done, and didn't want my equipment in the way right now.

Your PB seems like they don't want to concede anything in this transaction, they just want your money, that's not good business.

Yep, do it yourself. If its not in the contract its nothing to do with the builder especially if they are trying to extort you like that. You know what that price is right? Its paying themselves back for having to redo the the coping. In the same way my deck is $8 a sf instead of $6 because of our washout. In your case I'd do it myself. Heck I'm literally going to install an intellipH myself. It doesn't require 'hard' plumbing, its a saddle clamp system (clamps around the installed pipes) to inject the acid, so it goes on after the plumbing is run. The wiring all goes to the Load Center/Easytouch. I reckon it will take me, a non professional about an hour to do all of it, but then its not my first rodeo with being handy.

Oh and amazon has them for $450 including shipping.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.