New pool build in North Texas! A long and skinny pool....

You guys ready to see the worst concrete pour in placed coping ever? Please let me know if you guys do not thing it is bad and I am being difficult because that is what PB saying now. They said it is my personality that does not allow any imperfections! I find that very insulting... You guys be the judge.
73bfa25ceb0436c9dc53e9e3cd8d3fcd.jpg
rough finish and indentation all over.
904bb26604d81427e74b376217db23e9.jpg
they said they can not help it because it is Handmade... They used the foam form but everything got mess up when they trying to put color on with a big flat trowel and shape thing with it.
dcf4a428b8a3acaab6853c95fb13e0a1.jpg
underside not smooth at all
29082954a7b3d0acaedb4b780d7ff257.jpg
edges not smooth nor straight. I can tolerate not being smooth but this wiggly business and up and down lines are just not acceptable.
69b5df4fc1cfe932d06c89746ab5dbd1.jpg
along the spa there is basically no color at the face of the coping. I asked the PB prior of pouring "how are you going to finish the area around the spa since there is really no space for any tools to get in" and she /he basically told me to mind my own business and they know how to handle the area very well. So now when I pointed out this are, she told me "well, there is no space and it is the shadow from the spa!"
5a64cd5d3b454ca09a2ad1ef5ed6b241.jpg
again wiggly lines. My husband was about to blew up when he got home and saw all these. The PB at the time told him that it is not finish and they will smooth it when it cure.... How you going to smooth any of the stuff like this!
ed23f12ac7af811e2a0195c87e81f618.jpg
from afar looks OK, and they told me that by the time the pool is finished we will not even notice all the imperfections since it will be one big light color concrete deck!

Anyhow, I sat on whether to confront the PB about this for two days, and I decided that this workmanship is just plain aweful. I did not hire a cheap company. In fact, you guys probably will think I am stupid to build a pool like this when you find out how much we pay to have this done. So I emailed all of them and requested to meet with them formally and get this resolved.

I totally agree. Especially on the uneven lines. Always hard to judge from pics ... But if you look down the line and in some places 4 1x1s are visible and in other places 5 1x1s are visible ... Then you have a variation of 3/4 to 1 full inch on that line. For now, that's entirely unacceptable. I have no experience with concrete coping. I would ask if there's any other method they can use to correct. If not, needs to be fixed imo.

Yikes. I agree I wouldn't be happy with that coping being uneven, especially since you are going with a geometric shape pool with clean and straight lines. Yeah I would point that out and want to know for sure how they plan on correcting it. If it was a freeform, you probably could get away with it (I still wouldn't like it)...but definitely not with your style of pool.

Good luck and let us know how the meeting goes!

Hi CC. I saw your question on another threat about plaster around the spa. On my build They laid tile on the outside wall all the way down so the only part that needed plaster was in the floor of the gutter. Still following your build. Sorry to hear about the headaches.

That is finished?? As in they do not think they have to do any more work on it?

NO way! **** I could have done that and I do not do it for pay!

I would have to ask them "So how are you going to fix it? Because I will NOT accept it as a finished product and you will NOT get paid another dime until it is fixed to MY satisfaction (and my pals at TFP LOL)!

Kim

I feel your pain. Stick to your guns and don't be afraid to ask for a complete removal.

I just finished a build in April and had to demand that the builder jackhammer out 1200 sq ft of stamped concrete decking. We ended up replacing with travertine pavers. cost more $$$, but ultimately worth the price to avoid the hassle.

I would give them a chance to rectify. I'm not sure if they can come back through with a grinder that is used to cantilever stones - maybe. After you allow them a chance and still aren't happy, I would ask for the removal

looks like they had a bad mix and then tried to go back over it to correct the imperfections. I wouldn't be happy with that at all. I'm going at it wit my pb now as well. You would think for the amount of money you put into these projects that you could find better folks! Good luck on getting this resolved, stick to your guns.

I feel your pain. Stick to your guns and don't be afraid to ask for a complete removal.

I just finished a build in April and had to demand that the builder jackhammer out 1200 sq ft of stamped concrete decking. We ended up replacing with travertine pavers. cost more $$$, but ultimately worth the price to avoid the hassle.

Hi Jamsha...the only way to fix it probably at this point is to remove and do something else since this concrete crew they used has absolutely no clue on what is going on here.
I will update on that once I meet with them. My question is if they remove the coping, will they possible damage the pool somehow? But people do renovation all the time and replace copings, so it should be ok to remove, right? Also, did your PB remove the decking for free and just charge you the upgrade difference? I feel that this PB is realty gouging me on everything....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes, PB removed and only charged me the upgrade difference. If they get to the point of removing the coping, keep an eye on the glass tile - very possible you will lose a few.

The other issue you will surely run into is your pool builder price gouging on the replacement. Don't allow him to do this. I remember you saying he wanted 8k to go to Lueders, which is ridiculous btw.

Sorry you are experiencing this - you will get through it. All the important components of the pool appear to be in good shape. This one is minor and easily corrected

I am staying positive..... It is sad to see all other people's beautiful pools being finished and mine is no end in sight..... All it took is one mistake to ruin everything..... I really love everything about my pool until the concrete cantilever coping went in..... The PB said they are getting a special tool to finish the edges but I am not optimistic about it. I know whatever they are doing to fix the coping is going to make it look worst and cheap and we spent so much and it looked so great before all these happened.... But I have to wait to at least give them a chance to fix it before I tell them to complete demo the copings and go a different route. It is such a waste of time... The concrete guy us coming with a special tool in the next couple of days to refinish a section if the coping and see if I like it.....

I built houses for 20 years so I usually try to keep a neutral opinion concerning quality issues. However, that is horrendous and I would want it completely torn out. I would be very skeptical that a "special tool" could fix that or make it look even remotely acceptable.

We went through the same ordeal when our PB messed up our spa. They tried to fix it 4 different ways until I had them tear it out and re-do it. But they had to go through their own process before we got there. I would say this, if you are not happy with it, make sure it gets corrected. To them we are just another project but when the dust settles we are the ones looking at it for a long time coming. Best of luck

Ok.... So the newest update after waiting 3 weeks for them to come up to an agreement regarding the horrible concrete cantilever coping.... The PB will remove the coping and start over. However, instead of doing the concrete coping again, we will upgrade to leuder stone coping instead. They offer to bring out another concrete guy who specializes in concrete countertop to do the coping again.... But we did not feel that it will be better the 2nd time around.

Supposingly tomorrow they will demo the concrete coping and also order the 3 inch leuder. Most of the leuder is precut in 2 inches thick, so they will have to special order the 3 inches thick. I am happy that they all agree that what they did with the concrete coping was not good and volunteer to remove it instead getting into bigger dispute.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.