New pool build in North Texas! A long and skinny pool....

So, here is a pic of our not so impressive side yard, where future BBQ, Seat walls, and Fire pit will be. I am getting all the contacts of the sub who we like on this job, so when we are ready for the 2nd phase of the construction, I will go directly to the stone mason, construction crew, gas, electric plumber and forget about those blood money sucking PB. I really like our side yard concrete patio. The color is called Silversmoke, by Davis colors. They will come back and sandblast the surface to give me the contemporary smooth look that I am looking for.
e573d2bf82daacfe43f08530cb628457.jpg
ef9e534c0adcc051810d308c1e0b17c7.jpg
I like the copper rain chain hanging off the cutter..... Very romantic and soothing when rain.

I haven't built a house in a while and am not current on new codes but I am surprised they would let you put a door that close to your pool.
The only they require me to do is to switch all the windows and door to tempered glass windows and doors if it is within 5 feet of the water edge. So, I hope that they are not going to give me trouble when the final inspection comes. Maybe it is also because the water depth there is barely 6 to 8 inches deep and 8 inches wide in the water channels connecting the spa to the pool.

The only they require me to do is to switch all the windows and door to tempered glass windows and doors if it is within 5 feet of the water edge. So, I hope that they are not going to give me trouble when the final inspection comes. Maybe it is also because the water depth there is barely 6 to 8 inches deep and 8 inches wide in the water channels connecting the spa to the pool.

IM not sure if that code has anything to do with being by a pool. I think thats code for all windows or doors lower than 18". Thats at least the code here in VA, tx may be different though. In certain areas they make you do hurricane glass here too so IDK.

They probably won't give you any trouble. It is just surprising they wouldn't require at least a 36" deep landing there. It's such an unusual build there probably isn't a code that addresses that.

I'm sorry I'm late to the opinion party, I didn't log on till today and see your PM (I was on a self preservation ostrich head in sand mode on all things pool, lest I lose whats left of my mind).
If I'm not too late with the opinion, I too like staying with the brick. Its classic, it won't rot, it keeps the look of the house original and you have a pretty monotonal (for want of a better description) thing going on with the simple modern clean lines of your pool and concrete/leuder color palette to contrast the pop of bling bling the glass tile brings. If you start adding new materials and textures it starts to make things look 'busy'. Anything different distracts the eye away from da bling bling and we all know da bling bling is where its at!

I love your side yard by the way, I love how they did the rain chain into a little cut out, when its all landscaped out with the plantings you have planned its going to be such a fantastic retreat.

So hey since it has been a while and all any updates?

18ccda12aa506b20e312a573c08c3728.jpg
fbefc936af8dad7cea4649cbee240948.jpg
4c70606cd2a767b3522707156f14c8c9.jpg
b285cb95b49097899edad18523f4ad4f.jpg
5c3e5bd338bb32a56a5d2af77dfbe06a.jpg

I guess that if we all have the spirits of the children, then things will always be ok. My children are disappointed with how long the pool build had been going on but they still find fun in playing in the big hole in the ground. They are doing scientific experiment and find yucky things in the pool.....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
LOL love the kids! EVERYTHING is a toy/plaything!

If only PB would keep to their word. How them just saying "I am not sure when we will get to....." I really think that would be better than telling you what they think you want them then it not happening!

Kim

I vote for the brick as well. Yeah TX has some very different code requirements from city to city. For example, my city requires the pool to be at least 10 feet away from the house. Also the backwash line has to be tied in with the sewer but they don't require that in the next town over. They had to bore a hole under my driveway to get it there, which I'm sure added $$$$ to the cost of my build. It sounds like your PB just threw a high # out there because he didn't want to deal with any changes as that might require actually picking up a phone and calling someone. :hammer:

They require the tempered glass so if someone is running or walking by the window and they fell into the window they would not get as seriously injured. My pool is very close to my house and only some of the windows are tempered. Since we live out in the county there is no building inspections done.

Finally, we got decking around the pool.....
1c3b97df96f61bdce5866dc22a5633c4.jpg
dd56da6e25e5bef4e50ecc502b502930.jpg
26560727afbb9e54f90a68253318ca9a.jpg

The drama is ongoing.... My relationship with the PB and also GC is not doing good. Anything outside the contract is fair game from my perspective, and they made enough money out of me already.

So the story is that I have a few flagstones prior of the pool build as stepping stones at the side yard. Since the build, they have been excavated and just sitting there for quite some time..... So, I asked one of the sub who owe his own remodeling company to build a little front yard patio using the flagstone that I have.... Then I decided since he is here already, and I also wanted to get my kitchen painted, so I asked him to painted for me. Really small jobs and not a part of pool build at all.
891254c567a64e427b3a8a0f886466bd.jpg
d7941d2dc3f4d615f9dda31f6a384960.jpg

Neither him or I thought that the PB would be upset about this since it is such small jobs and unrelated to the pool build..... Well, am I wrong.... The pool lady designer GC blew the gasket on that. Yelled at me and also the poor sub..... Said I am unethical and going behind her back....she said I can not hire her guys and everything has to go through her with her approval..... I was like... Excuse me? For such a small job, and unrelated to my contract with you.... Plus the sub is a sub, he works for himself not you..... I guess I could had waited till later to paint the kitchen with the guy, but I just want to get it done with that I can clean up the house all together after the finish the window and doors and now after painting the kitchen... So, not doing good right now with them at all. Though out the whole build, I was never ugly with them. It actually hurt my feeling that the way I was treated by them because of such small issues....

I love that patio! CUTE and well done!

WOW on the yelling! She had NO right to say ANYTHING about what you had someone do that is NOT related to the pool!

Do what you want/need to do. Forget them! They are just after their cut which they have not right to!

Kim

He is a sub, and he gave me his company business card with his name on it. He does a lot of interior work for the ladylady, and that is true. She said that he is part of her team and all her workers are subcontractors. So, I really did not expect that she would react the way she did at all. Now she is just on mean streak and having a big pout.....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.