Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can I use an electrical outlet inside the house?

1. Back To Top    #1

Can I use an electrical outlet inside the house?

Hello Everyone,

We are getting ready to buy our first intex pool, which will be the small 10 x 30 metal frame round. We will also purchase the 1000 gph filter and the saltwater system based on the very helpful comments seen on this website.

My concern is that we have no electric outlets outside and so I was wondering if we could use the inside outlets? We would unplug when not running the filter.

Our backyard is pretty small and so the distance from the pool to the outlet will be less than 25 ft. As such, we wouldn't be using an extension cord. I know we can get an electrician but with the cost of leveling the huge slope and the pool equipment I was thinking we could wait before doing that.

Any suggestions please?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Can I use an electrical outlet inside the house?

Only if the outlet is GFI protected. Electricity and water do not play well together. You NEED the GFI for safety.

If you decide to go ahead and use the extension cord, get one that has 12 Gauge wire (AWG 12 somewhere on the package). Anything smaller can cause your pump to overheat.
    12000 Gallon IG Plaster built 2/15/2014. Jandy 340 sg ft 127 gpm filter, Jandy 1 HP stealth pump. Circupool RJ-45 SWG (overkill). TF-100 with Speed Stir.

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you. My husband is switching the outlet to GFI this weekend.

4. Back To Top    #4

Some of the Intex pump/filter combos (like mine) have a GFI in the pump plug but I still only use a GFI outlet. Belt/suspenders/blah blah blah.
    Cedar hot tub, 680 US gallons - Snorkel wood-burning heater, canoe paddle, "offline" Intex 1000 GPH pump/filter with skimmer

5. Back To Top    #5

It is technically an electrical code violation to run cords including extension cords through doorways, windows and other openings.

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~