Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: So. Many. Frogs.

1. Back To Top    #1

So. Many. Frogs.

I was sitting by my pool a while back enjoying an adult beverage, just spacing out at the absolutely crystal clear water you and I have created together. It was getting pretty dark outside and I had the underwater light on. I started to hear some frogs. Then I started to see some frogs. Then there were probably 15-20 little frogs having a pool party. They were jumping in and swimming around and chirping at each other like they owned the place. I've never seen frogs use a chlorinated swimming pool before so I can only assume that it's because of the ph balance and the lack of chemicals that allows them to come and go unscathed. It's been like that every night for a month now and I haven't found any corpses so I can assume that they will be fine.

I think they are adorable and I don't mind sharing the pool with them as long as they don't mess it up. Is this normal and should I worry about them or the pool?
    East Atlanta OTP
    20,000? gal IG, 18x36 3'-6'-4' sport bottom,
    Originally built in 1992, 11 year old vinyl liner,
    1Hp Pentair 1speed w/ Nautilus FNS 48 DE
    Polaris 380 (named Larry), Well water

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: So. Many. Frogs.

Frogs will try any body of water. If they have a way to get out, they will be fine, but many times they get stuck in the pool. Pool water will eventually kill them, if only for a lack of food.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

yup. I have found a few in my skimmer.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

4. Back To Top    #4

So what is the best way to keep them out of the pool? They only come at night.
    East Atlanta OTP
    20,000? gal IG, 18x36 3'-6'-4' sport bottom,
    Originally built in 1992, 11 year old vinyl liner,
    1Hp Pentair 1speed w/ Nautilus FNS 48 DE
    Polaris 380 (named Larry), Well water

5. Back To Top    #5

I do not worry about keeping them out. Mine are lucky that I put a ramp in for them. Wellllll it is really for my cats but the frogs use it. LOL

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Get snakes. Then you won't have frogs.

I did find that after adding borates the critters quit liking my water, but as always YMMV. (your mileage may vary)
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

7. Back To Top    #7

Three nights ago I had about a dozen frogs in my pool. Making lots of noise. Some of them were paired up. Next morning I had many eggs, which I scooped out. Also one dead frog on the bottom of pool, belly up and three huge and apparently dead worms. The last two nights I have had zero frogs other than the single frog that keeps getting in my skimmer basket. He always seems a little dazed after the pump has been running a while. About a month ago my pump seemed to lose prime. I switched it to high, and water eventually flowed again, but I had a pretty good sized dead frog in the pump basket. Borates in my pool doesn't seem to have repelled the frogs. For the most part the frogs don't bother me. They usually are not in the pool when I want to get in, and if they are I scoop them out and throw them over the fence into my neighbor's yard. They are cheaper than citronella candles or electric bug zappers.
    14k gal IG vinyl, Jandy Flopro 1 hp up-rated, 2 spd pump, Hayward 325 sq ft cartridge filter, Circupool Si-40 SWCG