Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Discrepancy in readings of salt cell and aquachek strips

1. Back To Top    #1

Discrepancy in readings of salt cell and aquachek strips

Does anyone know why there could be a big difference in salt levels. The aquachek stripes read 1300 and 3400ppm on Hayward. The salt cell is almost an year old and ironically reads anywhere from 3100 to 3400 daily. My FC has been about 8-12 with a cya of 70. I've been working on decreasing percentage as a result of high FC.

- - - Updated - - -

By the way, I have never added salt since it was opened last year in June, and even from beginning it has always read between 3200-3400.
    17k gallon pool, pentair whisperflo pump 1hp, Pentair FNS Plus 36, SWG Hayward Turbo Cell 15 40,000g, blue quartz with pebble finish landings/bench, ultra pure water cleaner.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Discrepancy in readings of salt cell and aquachek strips

I had a similar experience with strips. They told me I had 500ppm, but my Hayward said 3000-3200, I bought a Taylor K1766 test kit. MUCH more accurate than strips. Some people have good luck with the salt test strips, so it must be hit or miss.
    24'x40' 25k gal Imperial Mountain Pond IGP, full 28 mil VynAll Ocean Breakers liner. All Hayward system: 140k BTU HeatPro heat pump, 3/4HP single speed TriStar 2" Pump, DE6020 filter, AquaPlus Automation/Salt Chlorination, remote controls, ColorLogic 4.0 lighting. Polaris 280 w/PB4-60 BP. TF100 & K1766 test kits. Rinox Palazzo pavers and Spherik coping. Pool installed 9/2013, project completed 6/16/14.

3. Back To Top    #3

Salt cell is cleaned every 3 months with a mix of muriatic acid and water.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you, started reading people's review on stripes and several people make the same claim. Would you know if it's normal for salt ppm to vary 200-300 daily and whether not adding salt in a year is normal?
    17k gallon pool, pentair whisperflo pump 1hp, Pentair FNS Plus 36, SWG Hayward Turbo Cell 15 40,000g, blue quartz with pebble finish landings/bench, ultra pure water cleaner.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by jrr View Post
    Salt cell is cleaned every 3 months with a mix of muriatic acid and water.
    Thank you, started reading people's review on stripes and several people make the same claim. Would you know if it's normal for salt ppm to vary 200-300 daily and whether not adding salt in a year is normal?
    Yes and yes. If you've had a lot of rain, resulting in water displacement, you should've needed to add more.
    15'x30' IG - Roman-style - 14K - Pebble Fina Classico
    Filter: Jandy CL460 Pump: Jandy Stealth SHPF1.5 SWG: Jandy AquaPure 1400 Cleaner: Jandy RayVac Test Kit: TF-100 w/SpeedStir

Chlorine/CYA Chart----Extended Test Kit Directions----SLAM

5. Back To Top    #5

SWG's can vary on the salt readout and you should not worry about the 200-300 difference. You probably have a bad batch of test strips and you should rely on the SWG's reading. What truly matters is if the SWG is working or not and you only need to double check the salt level when the SWG is out of range.

In 3.5 years I have only added 3 bags of salt as I don't have to backwash very often and the amount of splash out is minimal. Different parts of the country will require salt to be added every season as they get a bunch of rain, need to winterize, etc.

Can you post a set of test readings so we can see what is causing you to have to clean the SWG so often? I have never needed to clean my cell with acid, and each time you clean it in acid, it lowers the life span of the cell.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

6. Back To Top    #6

Actually my salt cell is barely even dirty when I clean it, I had read somewhere to clean it with a mix of 3 quartz water to 1 quart muriatic acid. I do it every 3 months because the alarm on generator lets me know it's time.
    Last reading was 5 FC, 7.5 ph, cya 70, calcium was around 400-500 don't really remember. Ta was normal. I should just clean it with water? Usually it only has a little bit of white crusty stuff on cell.

I live in south Texas it barely rains, could be why salt hasn't changed.

7. Back To Top    #7

Try cleaning it with water and something like a chopstick to scrape off the buildup. Do not use anything metal to scrape the cell as you can scratch the plates. Each time you clean it with acid it shortens the life span of the cell.

With that high of calcium level you want to keep the TA lower, normal does not tell the story, 70 is a good level to shoot for, and make sure the pH stays below 7.8.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

I did this test and misread the instructions. I only dipped the strip in water and then waited 5 minutes. But the strip needs to sit on an inch of water for several minutes. The first time my reading was MUCH lower than the SWCG. The second time it was within 200 PPM.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

9. Back To Top    #9

The yellow bar across the top of the strip will turn completely black once the test is complete.

If you watch it, you can actually see it start to turn black from the center outward.

-Chris
    22K IG vinyl, .5HP Northstar pump, S244T filter, AutoPilot Digital w/SC-48 cell