Infant rescue swim classes?

Sorry that I'm late to this thread. We did ISR with our twins when they were 9-months old and again a year later (refresher course). It absolutely worked for them. Even at 9 months, they could fall in fully clothed, flip over and cry until help came. Even better, by the end of their refresher course, they were comfortable looking around underwater (and kicking / pseudo-swimming) and flipping over to breathe.

Now they are 5 1/2 and spend at least 1-2 hours per day in our pool.

I'm in the UK & my daughter did 'Water Babies' from 5 months for almost two years - no lessons during school holiday times. They didn't teach the turn over & flip method, but resurface and find their way to the side & hold on.

We stopped having lessons for 2 reason, firstly husband lost his job & the lessons aren't cheap and secondly, she had developed sensory issues and wouldn't do half the stuff in the lesson. The half she would do, was great & she loved, but the underwater stuff, was a great big NO. Up until the about 13 - 14 months, underwater was no issue, then this & other sensory issues developed - certain noises are another no no, she'll leave the room if a TV programme or film has bassy classic musical playing for instance.

Several other people stopped lessons at the same time, expense coupled with not really progressing anymore. Doing the same stuff every lesson.

I kept taking her swimming in the local pool, fairly regularly, when she'd wear a float jacket. After about 6 months I enrolled her in local authority run lessons. She was 3.5 years old. She hated it. Refused to do anything for the instructor and then when the instructor wasn't watching she's try and escape & swim off towards the deep end, only to be dragged back. I cancelled the lessons & got a refund. I decided we'd have lessons again, when she was ready & wanted them. When we went to the pool together, in her float jacket, with several floats removed she could swim to the deep end & back - 50 metres no issue.

We had our little Intex 8 ft Easy Set pool up last summer and she was in that, as much as she could be. Days on end when the weather permitted.

We went on Holiday in May, where she was doing the big curly waterslide at the fun pool - wearing float jacket. She decided she wanted to surf, we told her she couldn't without being able to swim without aids. She decided she wanted lessons, so I put her name down at a private swim school.

She started those lessons 2 weeks ago. First lesson she went from armbands, to two arm discs to one. Another parent asked if we'd transferred from another day & was very surprised she hadn't been having lessons. This week she started on two arm discs and went down to none and easily swimming widths of the small pool & jumping in unaided.

All the Water Babies lessons, when she was refusing to do half the stuff, certainly wasn't in vain and I'd actively encourage anyone to do Water Babies with their babies.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.