Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Infant rescue swim classes?

1. Back To Top    #1

Infant rescue swim classes?

Has anyone done this? Our boy is 20 months and my wife is really wanting to put him in them. I am sitting here watching the instructor and other kids right now, and it looks like they are taught to float and breathe, then flip over and swim to the side/steps.

Anyone put their kids in this, or tried to teach them yourself? How'd it work out?
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Infant rescue swim classes?

I never put my kids in swim classes but I always tried to teach them to doggie paddle and float while we played in the pool when they were younger. They are both great swimmers now. I think every child should know how to swim! It could save their life someday.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Melt In The Sun
    I am sitting here watching the instructor and other kids right now, and it looks like they are taught to float and breathe, then flip over and swim to the side/steps.
    We have friends that have twin boys. When they were about that age, they both went to swim classes. I went to one of the sessions on the day they were practicing the float, breathe, then flip over and swim to the side/steps. Since they are growing up in a house with a pool, I think it is a great idea for them to learn how to swim, whether it's in a formal class or self-taught by a friend or family member. It may save their life one day.

I also learned to swim as a toddler at a time where learning how to do so at that age was the exception to the rule. In fact, I cannot remember ever not knowing how to swim. I've always felt as comfortable in the water as Miss Kitty in Marshal Dillon's arms. Oops...Did I just give away a clue to my age???
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

4. Back To Top    #4

If allowed kids that grow up around a pool learn to swim early, by the time my son was 2 he was swimming on his own around the pool, and by the time he was 3 he was swimming like a fish. He is 25 now and still has to endure hearing the story of when he went to Disney World with his grandparents when he was 3, (I was not there, but have heard the story enough times too...) They had just checked into the hotel changed into their bathing suits and were heading to the pool when he ran off ahead of them and running at full speed jumped into the deep end of the pool, about half the people around the pool got up to jump in and "save" him when he popped up and swam to the ladder to climb out so he could jump in again.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the opinions! I guess he's already signed up.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

This works, my friends six month old baby can turn her self over and float on her back fully clothed until help arrives.... Its amazing... As she gets older, they will teach her to roll over to breath and swim to the side, she should be doing that my 10-12 months old... Youtube it, its amazing to watch.... I looked at getting certification so I could teach it but the course is $10,000
    Intex Rectangle 18 x 9 x 52', 4544 gallon (18000 litres), 0.75 hp pool pump, 100 sqft Zodiac Titan Cartridge Filter - 40mm, Stenner Peristaltic Pump chlorine injection system, Intex Over The Wall Skimmer, Intex Fittings with 40mm plumbing Lil Patch Of Heaven. Build/Construction http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...lice-of-heaven

7. Back To Top    #7

Yeah we say a couple babies when we went to observe. There's a lot of hacking, swallowing water, and screaming, but that's OK. Life is tough. It's better than dying. We saw some toddlers who could do the float to breathe, flip to swim thing.

He starts Monday, so I can update as it goes. He's going to hate it...

8. Back To Top    #8

In MN, they've actually introduced a bill: "Requiring the commissioner of education to include aquatics instruction in
    physical education standards for kindergarten through grade 12; specifying
    requirements
    (rt)"
    Not sure if it will ever get through more than a reading and introduction but I do agree, learning to swim can save your life some day.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

9. Back To Top    #9

Yes, completely worth it. Our daughter took it at 2 years old. She's 4 now and can swim the length of a 40 foot pool by alternating swimming and floating on her back when she needs rest. Wouldn't even second guess signing up if you have a pool.
    12k gal IG gunite, hayward cartridge filter, hayward ecostar VS pump, prologic controller, swg, polaris 280, built July 2012

10. Back To Top    #10

melt please keep us posted indeed. My 7.5 month old son got introduced to the pool this month and loves the water. We are going to teach what we can while its swimming weather here in phoenix and when it gets colder possibly put him in one of those classes
    13k IG pebble pool w/waterfall, 1hp whisperflow pump, pentair ccp320 cartridge filter
    Circupool SI45+ swg
    TF100 +speed stir Taylor 1766 salt test

11. Back To Top    #11

He had his first lesson yesterday. They really don't take it easy on them! He was crying before it even started, and the first thing was to show him where the ledge was so he could grab it and hold himself up. Then, under he went...and it was kind of amazing how quickly he got the idea that getting over to the ledge was the right thing to do. Then he came up and screamed, the teacher waited for him to take a big breath, and plumk...under again, and again, and again. One day down...

12. Back To Top    #12

Don't forget to use your bath tub as a place for the kids getting used to having water in their face. My wife teaches swimming and most of the kids that cry have not been exposed to a lot of water being splashed on the face. The tub is also a nice place to practice their learned skills during the winter.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

13. Back To Top    #13

Interested to see the results...
    TFP Moderator Chris V. ~16K Pool & Spa, 48NSF DE, IG Plaster Circa 2000, Intermatic PE653, Challenger pump with a 2 speed B2984, 20gal stenner chlorine injection, Houston, TX
    One cannot follow Islam and Christianity at the same time, nor can one follow pool store methods and TFP at the same time.
    Pool School -- Pool Math -- TF-Test Kit

14. Back To Top    #14

He's used to going underwater, we've been doing that since last summer and he loves getting water dumped on his face. I think he'll wise up and more than likely start to enjoy it before too long. Maybe.

15. Back To Top    #15

Wife says he has either an aversion to going on his back or he has stranger anxiety. She said to make sure to keep going and he will overcome it.

The worst cases, about one per year, take about 2 weeks, 5 lessons a week, to overcome the crying. I'm guessing those kids have multiple fears to overcome. Most of the kids do great within a week.
    Last edited by ping; 06-12-2014 at 07:30 AM. Reason: more info
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

16. Back To Top    #16

We really wanted to put our kids in one of these a couple years ago, but there wasn't enough demand to keep an instructor in Chicago during the summer - she made too much money teaching in FL to stay up north for a couple months.

Please keep us posted....I'm very curious to hear how it goes.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

17. Back To Top    #17

Just a reminder for all who are following this thread, even if your children are expert swimmers, there is no substitute for adult supervision.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

18. Back To Top    #18

No lessons yesterday or today...green pool at the instructor's house

Sand filter with broken laterals, so no circulation for who knows how long. I told her several days ago to dump in some bleach and stir...guess she didn't listen.

19. Back To Top    #19

Get her pool crystal clear again then send her the bill lol

13k IG pebble pool w/waterfall, 1hp whisperflow pump, pentair ccp320 cartridge filter
    Circupool SI45+ swg
    TF100 +speed stir Taylor 1766 salt test

20. Back To Top    #20

Well, we're almost half done with the 6 week class and I'd say he is about half-capable of not drowning. He swims face-down just fine, but refuses to flip over and float so far. All he wants to do in the pool now is swim back and forth between me and mom, and he's also not at all scared to dunk down in the water to pick up a toy that's at his feet (on the 2' deep shelf). So, we're getting there!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast