Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 2 days of heavy rain, glob of earthworms sitting under main drain

1. Back To Top    #1

2 days of heavy rain, glob of earthworms sitting under main drain

Hi all. My pool is operating just fine, but today I noticed a whole glob of dead earthworms. They're pretty large, at least 4-6" each, and only in one of four of the main drains in the center of my pool.

I'm assuming this is nothing to be worried about, but what do I do about it?
    ~12k gallon, cartridge filter, IG, plaster, 2hp Pentair Whisperflo WF-28, 150gpm filter

Pics: http://imgur.com/a/HqaPq#0

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 2 days of heavy rain, glob of earthworms sitting under main drain

Skim them out and lob them into the planters
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

I get about 10 or so every week in the bottom, more when we get heavy rains and the worms go on walkabout.

Leaf rake gets them in short order. Nudge em with the rake, they pop off the bottom. Easy scooping.

Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

4. Back To Top    #4

Are the main drain covers supposed to be removable? Last I checked, mine didn't seem to come off very easily.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by casastevo View Post
    Are the main drain covers supposed to be removable? Last I checked, mine didn't seem to come off very easily.
    No. If the worms are beneath the cover, maybe swim down with a hose and flush them out?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

What if I diverted all intake from the skimmers to the main drains in an attempt to suck them into the pump filter. Do you think that's worth a shot?

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by casastevo View Post
    What if I diverted all intake from the skimmers to the main drains in an attempt to suck them into the pump filter. Do you think that's worth a shot?
    Absolutely. I actually thought you'd tried that first.