Total Alkalinity>500 -- Is that even possible?!

Re: Total Alkalinity>500 -- Is that even possible?!

Very unlikely unless a lot of bicarb was added. Try testing your tap water to see what that is.

Alright. Well, I'm more than 40 drops into my tap water and it's still green through and through. I suppose I've got some bad reagent? Nothing has been added recently to the pool except liquid chlorine and some dry acid (pH Minus).

- - - Updated - - -

How new is the test kit? Do the drops look well formed or small and jumping off the tip of the bottle?

I purchased the kit here at the beginning of the spring/summer season last year -- about a year old. Drops look normal to me, but I'm not exactly a "drop-ologist."

Just was curious if the test kit was brand new and the drops were coming out too small due to static ... that is not likely give the age of the kit.

How was it stored?

What were your previous readings on tap and pool water?

Any chance that your reagents are out of order and you are accidentally using the wrong reagents?

Try testing some bottled water from the store.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It would probably still be worthwhile testing some bottled water from the store to see what that shows. That should help rule out or confirm test error. Also, you could check with the tap water supplier to see what the TA should be.

If you do test some bottled water, make sure that it's simple drinking water. Some bottled water has added bicarbonate which will test high.

OK, so ... The new reagents arrived (along with the SpeedStir) and I did some fiddling around with them. I decided to test some reverse osmosis water in the kitchen, which almost immediately turned color -- about 20 TA. This morning I went to the pool and did the 10ML test and got 175. I then did the full 25ML test and got 180-190. I had already added enough dry acid to take me down to 7.5 pH, so I'll monitor that and if it keeps rising (probably will) I'll get some MA and try to address the TA issue later.

P.S. There seems to be a slight discrepency in the ML levels of the SpeedStir's vial and the vials I use from the TF-100 kit. Is this concerning? Will the TF-100 vials work on the SpeedStir?

P.S.S. That little capsule that makes the SpeedStir work? Yeah, THAT'S not gonna get lost :-/

(BTW, my old reagents showed a TA of 80-90 in the R.O. water.)

It sounds like you're getting good readings now. As long as the calcium hardness is not too high, the high TA should not pose a problem other than possibly some pH rise.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.