Who's up for a challenge? Dark green monster!

kysoccer25

LifeTime Supporter
May 23, 2014
Shepherdsville, KY
Greetings Pool Guru's! I've been lurking here for a year or so, reading as much as I could and finally decided I needed the help of real pro's, not sales pro's at the pool store. I purchased the T100 and it was delivered today. I've completed the first round of tests and am including a picture of the monster I'm battling. If we can get this pool back to the beautiful, clear blue osasis it was before, I will gladly become a TFP Supporter!

My plan is to use BBB instead of $hock. I'm eager to learn how to get the pool back under control and maintain it but admit to knowing a little of what I'm doing (obviously).

Current readings:
FC- 1
CC- 0
TA- 3
CYA- 20
PH- 6.8

http://imgur.com/D0TEmlK
D0TEmlK.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The picture isn't showing and I doubt that TA reading.

Nonetheless, target 60 TA and add whatever baking soda you need to add. Recheck tA & pH after half an hour. If pH still needs fine-tuning, raise it with Borax (or PH increaser if you still have any left from years past) to 7.2. After half an hour of circulation and brushing and maybe vacuuming blind, recheck pH. If it's still good...

Jugs Away!

Your SLAM FC level is 10. Clean as much debris out as you can, it will speed things up.

It's all explained in more detail here: http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/125-slam-shock-level-and-maintain-shockingl

The first thing you want to do is get that pH is line, the test only goes down to 6.8 so i may be much lower

Ike

p.s. you can use Washing Soda (NOT Detergent), or 20 Mule Team Borax to raise pH

also please be more specific than United States on your location, the region you live in helps us give better advice, for example most of the south west has lots of sun and fairly high CH fill water,... You don't have to tell us the city if you don't want to, but part of the state like mine has helps

The picture isn't showing and I doubt that TA reading.

Nonetheless, target 60 TA and add whatever baking soda you need to add. Recheck tA & pH after half an hour. If pH still needs fine-tuning, raise it with Borax (or PH increaser if you still have any left from years past) to 7.2. After half an hour of circulation and brushing and maybe vacuuming blind, recheck pH. If it's still good...

Jugs Away!

Your SLAM FC level is 10. Clean as much debris out as you can, it will speed things up.

It's all explained in more detail here: http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/125-slam-shock-level-and-maintain-shockingl

I appreciate the response.

Sorry about the pic. I just fixed the URL. I couldn't upload it here as I don't have enough space under my profile (training wheels still on my account).

As for the TA reading, very likely I messed something up. I wasn't sure how "red" the water should turn. I stopped when the water turned a shade of red but I guess it could have been a dark pink. I honestly wasn't sure how red it should get. Do you need me to retest?

- - - Updated - - -

The first thing you want to do is get that pH is line, the test only goes down to 6.8 so i may be much lower

Ike

p.s. you can use Washing Soda (NOT Detergent), or 20 Mule Team Borax to raise pH

also please be more specific than United States on your location, the region you live in helps us give better advice, for example most of the south west has lots of sun and fairly high CH fill water,... You don't have to tell us the city if you don't want to, but part of the state like mine has helps

Thanks for the reply. I honestly thought I had provided all of that information including the specs of my pool/filter. I see that I had the info over 7 lines for my signature which is why it didn't work. I fixed the signature and it should be showing up now. Also, I included my location as well.

I'll start working on the pH level now. I will start adding the Borax. I'm assuming I need to consult the pool calc to know how much to add? When should I retest?

I appreciate the response.

Sorry about the pic. I just fixed the URL. I couldn't upload it here as I don't have enough space under my profile (training wheels still on my account).

As for the TA reading, very likely I messed something up. I wasn't sure how "red" the water should turn. I stopped when the water turned a shade of red but I guess it could have been a dark pink. I honestly wasn't sure how red it should get. Do you need me to retest?
No, but you do. You need to know what TA is now so you know how much you need to add. Pink is the final color. It usually goes green>grey>pale pink>barbie pink.

No, but you do. You need to know what TA is now so you know how much you need to add. Pink is the final color. It usually goes green>grey>pale pink>barbie pink.

Ok. I will retest it. The water didn't do much of a grey, but a did make a light pink and then a really hot pink. I will repost shortly.

I hooked up the sand filter with new sand and am filling the pool with water now. I didn't start the filtering yet. When should I turn the filter on?

- - - Updated - - -

All tests are to be done until the last drop causes no further color change, and then do not count that last drop.

Man I can't wait to know what I'm doing. Thank you guys so much for the help and guidance!!

Turn the pump/filter on as soon as you have water in the skimmers. Should run continously during SLAM. Also, when first starting up with new sand, start with multi port on backwash. Run on backwash until multi port sight glass is clear, then rinse for 1 minute, then to filter. Be sure to turn off pump before changing multi port positions. Always.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

TA levels should be 70. Major difference than 3. Had my older son help with the testing as he is a little better with colors (I'm slightly color blind).

- - - Updated - - -

Turn the pump/filter on as soon as you have water in the skimmers. Should run continously during SLAM. Also, when first starting up with new sand, start with multi port on backwash. Run on backwash until multi port sight glass is clear, then rinse for 1 minute, then to filter. Be sure to turn off pump before changing multi port positions. Always.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Brilliant point! I hadn't done that before and always wondered if that was necessary when opening the pool. Consider it done when the water finally gets there.

- - - Updated - - -

When the water is about 1/3 to 1/2 way up the skimmer opening, fire it off and check for leaks.

Yes sir. Excited for this to get started.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Oh This one is going to fun to watch!

Someone who ordered a good test kit FIRST!!!!!!!! SWEET!

Kim

:D

From everything I have been reading on this site (which includes hours and hours of really great information), the test kit makes a HUGE difference. The common response from the pool experts when someone would ask a question was to first get a good kit. I'm all about listening to the pro's. You all are volunteering your time and expertise. The least I can do is my own homework!

Pool water is almost up to the return jet! I don't want to let it run all night so I am going to cut it off in the next 30 minutes as I crash for the night. I have made some progress tonight (with the help of the pro's here). I did uncover a frog habitat once the cover was gone. 4 or 5 frogs on the outside of the pool walls and up under the railing.

**I was going to include some pictures of the frogs but I can't because I've reached my max storage space. I'll save it for future updates.

Good night everyone! Updates forthcoming.

:D

From everything I have been reading on this site (which includes hours and hours of really great information), the test kit makes a HUGE difference. The common response from the pool experts when someone would ask a question was to first get a good kit. I'm all about listening to the pro's. You all are volunteering your time and expertise. The least I can do is my own homework!

LOVE IT!

:rockon:

**Update for 5/30**

The water level is finally high enough that I can start the filter. Right now, the filter is going and I've backwashed it once already. I took new readings:

FC- 1
CC- .5
TA- 40
CYA- 20

So, what is the next step? I am eager and ready to go! Teach me wise ones...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.