Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Who's up for a challenge? Dark green monster!

1. Back To Top    #1

Who's up for a challenge? Dark green monster!

Greetings Pool Guru's! I've been lurking here for a year or so, reading as much as I could and finally decided I needed the help of real pro's, not sales pro's at the pool store. I purchased the T100 and it was delivered today. I've completed the first round of tests and am including a picture of the monster I'm battling. If we can get this pool back to the beautiful, clear blue osasis it was before, I will gladly become a TFP Supporter!

My plan is to use BBB instead of $hock. I'm eager to learn how to get the pool back under control and maintain it but admit to knowing a little of what I'm doing (obviously).

Current readings:
    FC- 1
    CC- 0
    TA- 3
    CYA- 20
    PH- 6.8

http://imgur.com/D0TEmlK
    Last edited by jblizzle; 05-29-2014 at 06:36 PM. Reason: Note how I made the picture show up.
    14.6k gallon pool (24'x52" round), AG Pool with sand filter
    Hayward Power Flo Matrix 1.5HP
    Pool and all equipment installed June 2011
    Thank you for your help!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Who's up for a challenge? Dark green monster!

The picture isn't showing and I doubt that TA reading.

Nonetheless, target 60 TA and add whatever baking soda you need to add. Recheck tA & pH after half an hour. If pH still needs fine-tuning, raise it with Borax (or PH increaser if you still have any left from years past) to 7.2. After half an hour of circulation and brushing and maybe vacuuming blind, recheck pH. If it's still good...

Jugs Away!

Your SLAM FC level is 10. Clean as much debris out as you can, it will speed things up.

It's all explained in more detail here: http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...tain-shockingl
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

The first thing you want to do is get that pH is line, the test only goes down to 6.8 so i may be much lower

Ike

p.s. you can use Washing Soda (NOT Detergent), or 20 Mule Team Borax to raise pH

also please be more specific than United States on your location, the region you live in helps us give better advice, for example most of the south west has lots of sun and fairly high CH fill water,... You don't have to tell us the city if you don't want to, but part of the state like mine has helps
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    The picture isn't showing and I doubt that TA reading.

Nonetheless, target 60 TA and add whatever baking soda you need to add. Recheck tA & pH after half an hour. If pH still needs fine-tuning, raise it with Borax (or PH increaser if you still have any left from years past) to 7.2. After half an hour of circulation and brushing and maybe vacuuming blind, recheck pH. If it's still good...

Jugs Away!

Your SLAM FC level is 10. Clean as much debris out as you can, it will speed things up.

It's all explained in more detail here: http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...tain-shockingl
    I appreciate the response.

Sorry about the pic. I just fixed the URL. I couldn't upload it here as I don't have enough space under my profile (training wheels still on my account).

As for the TA reading, very likely I messed something up. I wasn't sure how "red" the water should turn. I stopped when the water turned a shade of red but I guess it could have been a dark pink. I honestly wasn't sure how red it should get. Do you need me to retest?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
    The first thing you want to do is get that pH is line, the test only goes down to 6.8 so i may be much lower

Ike

p.s. you can use Washing Soda (NOT Detergent), or 20 Mule Team Borax to raise pH

also please be more specific than United States on your location, the region you live in helps us give better advice, for example most of the south west has lots of sun and fairly high CH fill water,... You don't have to tell us the city if you don't want to, but part of the state like mine has helps
    Thanks for the reply. I honestly thought I had provided all of that information including the specs of my pool/filter. I see that I had the info over 7 lines for my signature which is why it didn't work. I fixed the signature and it should be showing up now. Also, I included my location as well.

I'll start working on the pH level now. I will start adding the Borax. I'm assuming I need to consult the pool calc to know how much to add? When should I retest?
    Thank you for your help!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by kysoccer25 View Post
    I appreciate the response.

Sorry about the pic. I just fixed the URL. I couldn't upload it here as I don't have enough space under my profile (training wheels still on my account).

As for the TA reading, very likely I messed something up. I wasn't sure how "red" the water should turn. I stopped when the water turned a shade of red but I guess it could have been a dark pink. I honestly wasn't sure how red it should get. Do you need me to retest?
    No, but you do. You need to know what TA is now so you know how much you need to add. Pink is the final color. It usually goes green>grey>pale pink>barbie pink.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

All tests are to be done until the last drop causes no further color change, and then do not count that last drop.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

No, but you do. You need to know what TA is now so you know how much you need to add. Pink is the final color. It usually goes green>grey>pale pink>barbie pink.
    Ok. I will retest it. The water didn't do much of a grey, but a did make a light pink and then a really hot pink. I will repost shortly.

I hooked up the sand filter with new sand and am filling the pool with water now. I didn't start the filtering yet. When should I turn the filter on?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    All tests are to be done until the last drop causes no further color change, and then do not count that last drop.
    Man I can't wait to know what I'm doing. Thank you guys so much for the help and guidance!!
    Thank you for your help!

8. Back To Top    #8

When the water is about 1/3 to 1/2 way up the skimmer opening, fire it off and check for leaks.

9. Back To Top    #9

Turn the pump/filter on as soon as you have water in the skimmers. Should run continously during SLAM. Also, when first starting up with new sand, start with multi port on backwash. Run on backwash until multi port sight glass is clear, then rinse for 1 minute, then to filter. Be sure to turn off pump before changing multi port positions. Always.

Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

10. Back To Top    #10

TA levels should be 70. Major difference than 3. Had my older son help with the testing as he is a little better with colors (I'm slightly color blind).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JVTrain View Post
    Turn the pump/filter on as soon as you have water in the skimmers. Should run continously during SLAM. Also, when first starting up with new sand, start with multi port on backwash. Run on backwash until multi port sight glass is clear, then rinse for 1 minute, then to filter. Be sure to turn off pump before changing multi port positions. Always.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Brilliant point! I hadn't done that before and always wondered if that was necessary when opening the pool. Consider it done when the water finally gets there.

- - - Updated - - -

When the water is about 1/3 to 1/2 way up the skimmer opening, fire it off and check for leaks.
    Yes sir. Excited for this to get started.
    Thank you for your help!

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

Just subscribed to this thread.
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

12. Back To Top    #12

Oh This one is going to fun to watch!

Someone who ordered a good test kit FIRST!!!!!!!! SWEET!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post
    Oh This one is going to fun to watch!

Someone who ordered a good test kit FIRST!!!!!!!! SWEET!

Kim

From everything I have been reading on this site (which includes hours and hours of really great information), the test kit makes a HUGE difference. The common response from the pool experts when someone would ask a question was to first get a good kit. I'm all about listening to the pro's. You all are volunteering your time and expertise. The least I can do is my own homework!
    Thank you for your help!

14. Back To Top    #14

Pool water is almost up to the return jet! I don't want to let it run all night so I am going to cut it off in the next 30 minutes as I crash for the night. I have made some progress tonight (with the help of the pro's here). I did uncover a frog habitat once the cover was gone. 4 or 5 frogs on the outside of the pool walls and up under the railing.

**I was going to include some pictures of the frogs but I can't because I've reached my max storage space. I'll save it for future updates.

Good night everyone! Updates forthcoming.
    Thank you for your help!

15. Back To Top    #15

Read the picture sticky in the forum issues section.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

16. Back To Top    #16

Oooh! I'm gonna like this one! Welcome to the forum!
    18' x 48" (42" water depth) Intex Metal Frame 6,700 Gallons
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.0 HP pump
    Hayward Pro Series S166T Sand Filter
    Original Intex Floating Skimmer

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Read the picture sticky in the forum issues section.
    On it this morning. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
    Thank you for your help!

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by Beens View Post
    Oooh! I'm gonna like this one! Welcome to the forum!

Lol..... It should be a fun one and thanks for the welcome!
    Thank you for your help!

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by kysoccer25 View Post

From everything I have been reading on this site (which includes hours and hours of really great information), the test kit makes a HUGE difference. The common response from the pool experts when someone would ask a question was to first get a good kit. I'm all about listening to the pro's. You all are volunteering your time and expertise. The least I can do is my own homework!
    LOVE IT!

TFP Moderator Chris V. ~16K Pool & Spa, 48NSF DE, IG Plaster Circa 2000, Intermatic PE653, Challenger pump with a 2 speed B2984, 20gal stenner chlorine injection, Houston, TX
    One cannot follow Islam and Christianity at the same time, nor can one follow pool store methods and TFP at the same time.
    Pool School -- Pool Math -- TF-Test Kit

20. Back To Top    #20

**Update for 5/30**

The water level is finally high enough that I can start the filter. Right now, the filter is going and I've backwashed it once already. I took new readings:

FC- 1
    CC- .5
    TA- 40
    CYA- 20

So, what is the next step? I am eager and ready to go! Teach me wise ones...
    Thank you for your help!

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast