PH, TA adjustments and swimming.

Jul 5, 2010
NE OHIO
I opened pool and started to shock it. I have an above ground vinyl pool. I have been keeping the shock level at 14 for a few days now. I did an overnight test and last night I was at FC 14 and this morning it was at 12.5 or 13. I did take it at 7:00am so the sun was up for a bit, but I don't think it would effect it that fast? The water looks pretty clear, but could have the slightest bit of cloudyness to it. When I tested the FC last night I checked for CC and it showed 0. So my first question is....my kids have been begging me to go in. Can they swim for a bit and then bring it back up to shock level? My PH is also high at 8.2 and I didn't know if that would bother them too. I don't want to eat holes through their skin ;)

2nd question: So I need to get my TA up and my PH down. Should I add the Muriatic acid first to bring down the ph then try to bring up the TA? And is the muriatic acid really hard to handle?

Last: When I test my FC the color will turn clear (I'm using the speed stir) and then half a second later will turn to light pink again. This seems to be more of a problem when the chlorine is at a high level when I am shocking. I keep adding drops till it stays clear. Is this the correct procedure?

Here are my levels now are and I'm testing with TF-100 kit:

CYA 35
FC 8.5
CC 0
PH 8.2
TA 50

As long as you can see the bottom of the pool and you FC is not above SLAM level, then sure they can swim.

You have stated you failed 2 of the 3 criteria to stop the SLAM, so you are not done. And remember the pH test reads artificially high when the FC > 10ppm.

I would leave the TA for now, but lower the pH before raising the FC again. Just lower the acid bottom into the pool a bit and slowly pour it in from a few inches above the water. Dipping the bottle into the water makes it float and easy to handle.

How much powder are you using? Maybe try a little more. The sample should not turn pink again right away ... it will after closer to a minute though.

It says to use one heaping scoop, so I use the little blue scoop and I don't fill it even I make it round off a bit but not to much. I couldn't remember if I had the problem of it turning pink right away with high chlorine levels before or if that meant it was going bad. It still did it with my reading of FC 8.5 like 2 times. When I was at FC 14 it would return right away to pink like 5 times. Thank you for the reminder about the PH reading high. I went out and took it again with the levels not at shock and it was 7.2

You can not use too much powder, but you can use too little. Try a smidgen more and see if it still turns pink again right away. I have never seen that happen with FC up to around 20ppm.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.