Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cloudy pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Cloudy pool

Hello!

My pool started to get cloudy the day before yesterday. We didn't open the pool cover yesterday because we were busy. Today it's more cloudy. Here are my readings using the TF-100 test kit:

FC: zero
    CC: zero
    pH: 7.5
    TA: 110
    CH: 110
    CYA: none (black dot on vial never disappeared)

Help please!

Thanks!
    26K, IG vinyl, Intelliflo VST 2, Intellichlor IC40, Tagelus TA60 sand filter, Pentair Easy Touch Control Panel, Automatic Pool Cover

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cloudy pool

Get some chlorine in there ASAP.

4 lbs dichlor shock. (+11 FC, +10 CYA)
    4 lbs stabilizer (+20 CYA)
    1 x 121 oz jug of 8.25% bleach (+3.3 FC)

OR

Add stabilizer and liquid chlorine per pool math to get the same results.

That should bring your FC to the neighborhood of 14-14.5 and CYA to 30.

SLAM until you pass the OCLT and water is clear.
    25000 gal in ground plaster. '79 vintage. Cartridge filter.

3. Back To Top    #3

I would not raise the FC up that high until the CYA was dissolved in the water.

Simplest would be to just get 4-6 pounds of CYA dissolving and add 3 jugs of bleach. And then start the SLAM Process.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

I'll head out to the store then. My son swam in the pool this morning while it was cloudy. Is that harmful? Thanks!
    26K, IG vinyl, Intelliflo VST 2, Intellichlor IC40, Tagelus TA60 sand filter, Pentair Easy Touch Control Panel, Automatic Pool Cover

5. Back To Top    #5

We say it is safe to swim if you can see the bottom and the FC is above the minimum listed for your CYA level in the FC/CYA Chart. So .... not really safe since you had no FC, but may not be harmful.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

6. Back To Top    #6

I'm at Walmart and obviously I can find bleach but where do I find CYA?

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and all they have are "hth" products. I have no clue if I should use anything from that company. They have a natural clarifier and a super concentrated clarifier. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

7. Back To Top    #7

My pool got cloudy the other day, but a backwash and recharge of my DE filter took care of it today. How is your filter pressure?
    24'x40' 25k gal Imperial Mountain Pond IGP, full 28 mil VynAll Ocean Breakers liner. All Hayward system: 140k BTU HeatPro heat pump, 3/4HP single speed TriStar 2" Pump, DE6020 filter, AquaPlus Automation/Salt Chlorination, remote controls, ColorLogic 4.0 lighting. Polaris 280 w/PB4-60 BP. TF100 & K1766 test kits. Rinox Palazzo pavers and Spherik coping. Pool installed 9/2013, project completed 6/16/14.

8. Back To Top    #8

Sorry for the delay. I have used the HTH stabilizer. I think it is labelled as conditioner (NOT clarifier). Check the ingredient is cyanuric acid.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

An update:
    The filter pressure was high and my husband did a backwash and the pressure went to normal. He also switched on the stabilizer setting to 100%. This was at about 5:30 last night.

I looked at the pool last night around 10pm and it was clearer. The pump ran all night and I looked at the pool again at about 8am and it was even clearer.

I went out a short time ago and opened the pool cover and there were soapy looking bubbles at the the deep of the pool. They quickly dissipated and now the pool is cloudy again. Not as bad at yesterday but as cloudy as 10pm last night.

I just took more readings:
    FC: I have a question. In the instructions it says to multiply the number of drops by 0.5 but the example in the parentheses uses 0.05. So the drops X 0.5 = 1 and the drops X 0.05 = 0.1
    CC: same deal as above... 0.25 and 0.0025, respectively.
    pH: 7.5
    TA: 120
    CH: 130
    CYA: zero
    One note: while at Walmart, the products I mentioned did not have an ingredient list. Would CYA only be in the pool supply area?

What should be my next move? Thanks again!

10. Back To Top    #10

What is the "stabilizer setting"?

With a 10ml sample, the multiplier is 0.5 ... the example must be wrong. And it is not possible to get 0.25 for the CC with the same 0.5 multiplier.

Yes the conditioner should only be in the pool area ... you still need to get the CYA up. That is the next move.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

11. Back To Top    #11

At Walmart, the bottle is HTH Stabilizer and Conditioner. About $14 for 4 pounds.
    24'x40' 25k gal Imperial Mountain Pond IGP, full 28 mil VynAll Ocean Breakers liner. All Hayward system: 140k BTU HeatPro heat pump, 3/4HP single speed TriStar 2" Pump, DE6020 filter, AquaPlus Automation/Salt Chlorination, remote controls, ColorLogic 4.0 lighting. Polaris 280 w/PB4-60 BP. TF100 & K1766 test kits. Rinox Palazzo pavers and Spherik coping. Pool installed 9/2013, project completed 6/16/14.

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderbeansmom View Post
    I'm at Walmart and obviously I can find bleach but where do I find CYA?

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and all they have are "hth" products. I have no clue if I should use anything from that company. They have a natural clarifier and a super concentrated clarifier. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Just follow the advice you have been given here. You won't need any type of clarifier to clear up your pool.
    14K Gallon IG Gunite Pool built in 2005, Century Centurion 1 1/2 HP Pump
    Pentair Clean & Clear 420 Sqft. Cartridge filter, MiniMax Pentair NT Heater, The Pool Cleaner
    Taylor K-2005 test kit with Taylor K-1515-A FAS-DPD Chlorine Test. SpeedStir

13. Back To Top    #13

The stabilizer setting is at 100%.

I went to Walmart and got the HTH Stabilizer and Conditioner. I haven't added it yet.

Is the CYA going to clear up my water? The water is cloudy coming out of the return jet. So there's pools of cloudy water floating around. Not to mentioned some sort of white residue on the surface in places...seems like remnants of those soapy bubbles I mentioned before. What could cause that? The rest of the pool is crystal clear.

the only other thing I did yesterday before I tested anything was to put this bottle of chemical in the skimmer the pool guy told my husband to do that at the end of April and he hadn't. It's by Natural Chemistry and called Salt Water Magic. So that was in the early morning yesterday and I just read that the directions on the bottle say not to backwash for 24 hours, which my husband did do last night.

I'm just so confused. I don't know if this CYA will clear up the pool. I don't know what those soapy bubble where. I don't know if this Salt Water Magic had any effect on anything. And I don't understand the cloudy water coming out of the jets and lingering in places, while the rest of the pool is clear.

Please help! Thanks!

14. Back To Top    #14

What is a "stabilizer setting"? I have no idea what you are talking about.

No the stabilizer is not going to clear up the water. It is going to protect the chlorine from the sun. The chlorine is going to kill what is in your water and the filter is going to remove it from the water.

Put the stabilizer in a sock and put it in the skimmer. Leave the pump running and backwash whenever you need to.

I think you need to stop and learn a bit more.
    How much Pool School have you read? Start with these:
    ABCs of Water Chemistry
    Recommended Pool Chemicals
    How to Chlorinate Your Pool
    Jason, TFP Moderator

15. Back To Top    #15

My guess is that the "stabilizer setting is 100%" refers to the SWG. I could be wrong though..