Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help! I have metals

1. Back To Top    #1

Help! I have metals

Hey guys...been noticing my liner had a yellowish tint in spots that I tought was fading due to suggested pool store chemicals added months ago. Been doing BBB for months now. Just did the vitamin C test and plain as day. Was just in the must of raising my CYA from 30-40 with sock method this morning. Here's my numbers. What should I do?

FC 5.0
    CC - 0
    PH 7.7
    TA - 100
    CH - 125
    CYA - 30

Just put the cya sock in front of return,brushed walls and was about to vacum when I decided to to the Vit C test.....rainy here today and next few days. What's the best sequesturant? Need Step by step directions and hold my hand!
    Montgomery, AL
    27000 16 x 36 IG, Vinyl, Grecian, Hayward Sand filter, 1 HP Pentair whisperflo motor, Aqua Genie filter not by choice, no extra jets, Dolphin s300i robotic cleaner,Taylor K 2006 test kit, speed-stir which I couldn't live without!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help! I have metals

Start by reading this: http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...d-metal-stains
    And then ask specific questions as needed.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

What's the best way to bring chlorine down? I know to use muriatic acid to lower ph. Have that. Should I discontinue the stabilizer treatment? Best stuff to buy?
    Montgomery, AL
    27000 16 x 36 IG, Vinyl, Grecian, Hayward Sand filter, 1 HP Pentair whisperflo motor, Aqua Genie filter not by choice, no extra jets, Dolphin s300i robotic cleaner,Taylor K 2006 test kit, speed-stir which I couldn't live without!

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Let the chlorine come down on it's own. Doesn't matter about the stabilizer.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Adding the CYA should not affect anything. Leave it in or take it out. Does not matter.
    Are you planning to do the AA treatment?
    If so, let the FC drop due to the sun.
    The article lists the type of recommended sequestrant. And in the AA instructions tell you what to buy for that.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Yes I plan on doing AA. Is Dry Acid from Leslie's the same thing? I'm passing by there today and can pick some up. I just don't trust them and wanna make sure I'm getting the right stuff.
    Montgomery, AL

7. Back To Top    #7

No. Dry acid lowers pH.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

8. Back To Top    #8

That's what I thought but when I did a search on their site dry acid came up.
    Montgomery, AL

9. Back To Top    #9

At Leslie's all I see is stuff called metal free

10. Back To Top    #10

So, find a better store ... the AA instructions even have links to where to buy the ascorbic acid.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

11. Back To Top    #11

Found some Called Stain Remover (concentrated ascorbic acid compound for removal of stains)

- - - Updated - - -

$50.... : (

12. Back To Top    #12

Fussed about price. Dude told me I could use an orange peel

13. Back To Top    #13

Update on the AA treatment. Got FC down to 1, ph to 7.2. Added 2 lbs AA. Totally shocked how fast the stains started disappearing before my eyes. Let water circulate for 1/2 hr. Still had a few stains. Added another 2 lbs....liner looks brand new again!!! Will let filter run over night and begin slowly bringing FC back up....keeping fingers crossed the stains don't come back. Have more AA on order!
    Montgomery, AL

14. Back To Top    #14

Remember you need to use a sequestrant to prevent the stains from reappearing.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

15. Back To Top    #15

Ya know, I just realized that. Went back and read the treatment recommendations. I kept scratching my head thinking, what am I missing here....will see if I can find some tomorrow. I was running my filter overnight tonight. Do I need to do that or wait until I add the squestrant tomorrow?
    Montgomery, AL

16. Back To Top    #16

Added Sparkle Conquest sequesturant ... Contrary to what our directions say here, they bottle says after 24 hrs backwash and rinse filter...should I or shouldn't i?
    Montgomery, AL

17. Back To Top    #17

Woke up to a cloudy pool!! Back washed per sparkle conquest directions....need to get FC and ph back up. What do I do??.
    Montgomery, AL

18. Back To Top    #18

If PH is still 7.2 don't worry about it for now. I think it's okay to slowly add enough chlorine to reach your "min" - just don't slam. Can you test and add chlorine hourly to reach your "min" FC level?
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

19. Back To Top    #19

Got ph down to 7.2 before AA treatment, now it looks lower than 7.0 (lowest # on Taylor k). Yes I have baking soda, borax, bleach

FC 0
    CC 0
    PH 6 something .
    TA 75
    CH 100
    CYA 45

- - - Updated - - -

Should I raise PH FIRST to 7.2?
    Montgomery, AL

20. Back To Top    #20

Sure but target 7.0 and do it in small doses... Like to the chlorine.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast