Noob just trying to figure out this method

May 29, 2014
United States
I have had a pool for many years and have constantly battled algae. I heard of this site from my brother and am trying to get this method going. My pool is an above ground pool with a vinyl liner. It's 30 ft diameter and 4 feet deep. It holds about 21,000 gallons of water. In the past all I used were the test strips (I know, embarrassing) for checking pH, alkalinity, free chlorine, etc. I have ordered the tf-100 test kit but it hasn't gotten here yet. I noticed a few days ago that my water was starting to turn green but doing a test (with the test strip) my chlorine levels were still high. So I took a water sample over to my brother last night (who already has the test kit) and these are the results he got: free chlorine 2.2, combined chlorine .8, so total chlorine is 3.0 (is how I understand it), pH 6.8, Total alkalinity 60, and, I believe, most importantly, CYA of at least 100 or more. I have a fresh water pool (not salt water) and from what I understand the CYA is what is killing me. I have already started to drain my pool (just cyphening it out with a garden hose) and have sent my wife to get gallons of walmart bleach. Other recommendations as to what I need to do to get rid of the algae and get my pool back to where it needs to be? I will add baking soda to increase pH. Any other thoughts or idea would be wonderful. Thanks. Brad

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

You are on the right track. The high CYA and relatively low FC is certainly at the root of your problem, so replacing water and getting bleach is a good start.

Note that baking soda will not raise the pH, it raises the TA (which is fine). I would ignore the pH and TA until after you replace the water to get the CYA down and then do another full set of tests.

How much Pool School have you read? Start with these:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

After you have your test kit and the CYA lower, you are going to need to follow the SLAM Process to clear up the algae.

Congratulations on actually taking the recommendation from your brother to look us up :goodjob:

Get that brother of yours over there to test the water again as soon as it's been refilled and is circulating. You might not need any baking soda, depending on the fill water. Otherwise, it sounds like you've got it figured out. Lowering CYA, test kit ordered, mass quantities of bleach, local coach. I predict a speedy recovery! Take lots of pictures!

attachment.php

Two brothers joining TFP in the same month, same year, same test kits ordered... Wow, it's a beautiful thing! :mrgreen: Now if we could only get Brad to update his profile and signature like his brother Matt did, we'll all be golden! :cool: :lol:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.