Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Noob just trying to figure out this method

1. Back To Top    #1

Noob just trying to figure out this method

I have had a pool for many years and have constantly battled algae. I heard of this site from my brother and am trying to get this method going. My pool is an above ground pool with a vinyl liner. It's 30 ft diameter and 4 feet deep. It holds about 21,000 gallons of water. In the past all I used were the test strips (I know, embarrassing) for checking pH, alkalinity, free chlorine, etc. I have ordered the tf-100 test kit but it hasn't gotten here yet. I noticed a few days ago that my water was starting to turn green but doing a test (with the test strip) my chlorine levels were still high. So I took a water sample over to my brother last night (who already has the test kit) and these are the results he got: free chlorine 2.2, combined chlorine .8, so total chlorine is 3.0 (is how I understand it), pH 6.8, Total alkalinity 60, and, I believe, most importantly, CYA of at least 100 or more. I have a fresh water pool (not salt water) and from what I understand the CYA is what is killing me. I have already started to drain my pool (just cyphening it out with a garden hose) and have sent my wife to get gallons of walmart bleach. Other recommendations as to what I need to do to get rid of the algae and get my pool back to where it needs to be? I will add baking soda to increase pH. Any other thoughts or idea would be wonderful. Thanks. Brad

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Noob just trying to figure out this method

Welcome to TFP!!!

You are on the right track. The high CYA and relatively low FC is certainly at the root of your problem, so replacing water and getting bleach is a good start.

Note that baking soda will not raise the pH, it raises the TA (which is fine). I would ignore the pH and TA until after you replace the water to get the CYA down and then do another full set of tests.

How much Pool School have you read? Start with these:
    ABCs of Water Chemistry
    Recommended Pool Chemicals
    How to Chlorinate Your Pool

After you have your test kit and the CYA lower, you are going to need to follow the SLAM Process to clear up the algae.

Congratulations on actually taking the recommendation from your brother to look us up
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Get that brother of yours over there to test the water again as soon as it's been refilled and is circulating. You might not need any baking soda, depending on the fill water. Otherwise, it sounds like you've got it figured out. Lowering CYA, test kit ordered, mass quantities of bleach, local coach. I predict a speedy recovery! Take lots of pictures!

16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm his brother and I've only been able to help him out because you guys have helped me out. I told him this forum was awesome! Thanks for chiming in so quickly.
    18k gal, AG, Sand filter, Aqua Trol SWG, Installed 5/2014

5. Back To Top    #5

Two brothers joining TFP in the same month, same year, same test kits ordered... Wow, it's a beautiful thing! Now if we could only get Brad to update his profile and signature like his brother Matt did, we'll all be golden!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    Two brothers joining TFP in the same month, same year, same test kits ordered... Wow, it's a beautiful thing! Now if we could only get Brad to update his profile and signature like his brother Matt did, we'll all be golden!
    It's beautiful being brothers and being on the same site. How's my signature now?
    Last edited by superbrad9; 05-29-2014 at 11:46 AM. Reason: added more
    21k gal, AG, 22" Sand Filter, chlorine pool, 1.5 hp Hayward pump, 5/2008 installed, 5/29/2014 started using TFP and never going back!

7. Back To Top    #7

That is a start ... although both of you could help by adding more detail: model and size of pump, model and size of filter
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

Add your city and state in your profile, too. It helps us by understanding the climate in which you live.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School